AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Carada's site refers to their "Black Hole™" velvet trim numerous times, but I can't find any reference saying that the material in your link is the same stuff.

Good find, though - looks useful!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof55 /forum/post/16972233

Carada's site refers to their "Black Hole™" velvet trim numerous times, but I can't find any reference saying that the material in your link is the same stuff.

Well...., the Supplier makes it clear that it is a type of high quality Flocking...not like "Decorative" Flocking grades"...so it most assuredly is not Black Velvet.

Looks to be too expensive for normal DIY'ers, many of which are aghast at the idea of spending even $6.99 yard for 3 yds of Triple Black velvet, enough to do 3 - 120" screens.

3 x $6.99 = $20.97

At 99% effective at absorbing light, I'll say the temptation exists to consider it. But $.05 a foot? That my Buckeroos, would amount to $50.00 per 120" screen (enough length for 2 - 106" pieces of trim, and 2 - 60" pieces of trim)

A 200"x 30" roll of this stuff would need to be cut into the correspondingly wide strips. You must cut it into those strips.Buy it by the foot...and you still have to cut it into strips. Not only is the ease of cutting questionable (sharp utility knife w/trim underneath?) because cutting similar material has often proved difficult without bunching or shredding the Flocking and/or pulling it loose prematurely from the Paper backing guarding the Adhesive ...and, like other adhesive Flocking....you get just one chance to get a perfect positioning "lay". Removing and repositioning just doesn't ever seem to produce acceptable results with Adhesive Backed Flocking.

But 99% eh? What a temptation.

If the wallet can stand the hit...then such material would represent a easy fix to unwanted Light Reflection off a Ceiling directly above a Screen.

As a advocate for a few select DIY Screen apps that have cost above average to make....I'm not one to hedge on quality easily...but I think that this item bears careful consideration...on all fronts. It's performance can...and most likely would appeal to those spending inordinate amounts of money for AT Screens and well done, Aluminum Channel Frames. Screen builds that involve literally several hundred dollars.

But for me...gimme sum o dat ol' Black Velvet.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/16972563

But for me...gimme sum o dat ol' Black Velvet.

Black Velvet....a very good and smooth Canadian Whiskey. I second the motion!

If I recall they had a mini-roll 30" wide for $75.00 +. I figure I could take a radial arm saw and cut the roll in half to cover (2) 10-1/2" wide x 10' long rigid insulation masking panels. Squeege the product on the front face, and take the excess width and roll it over the top and bottom edges, and fold and adhear on the back side. Your right though, it's a one shot thing. I am also considering plain black velvet, which I could easily duct tape the foldover to the back side quite easily.

Temptation is hell.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks like a perfect solution for ceilings (self adhering) except for the cost. At $21.60/yard it is an expensive upgrade to go from 95% light absorption to 99+%. Certainly for a DIY telescope I can see it being well worth the minimal added cost but for a theater application it does not appear very cost effective. I agree though that it is a great find!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
Jive Bearded Fowl type person with large Fan shaped tail,

For your application, since your covering a couple large Panel strips...it can make more sense....barely.

However a length of Triple Black velvet (48" wide) will wrap and encase those panels just as well...for less money...leaving some cash left over for a healthy dose of that which you can use to toast your success.

Plus...BV can also be used for matching Curtains. Flocking cannot.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got samples of Triple Black from Syfabrics and Fidelio from Vouge Fabrics, and the Fidelio is definitely the better of the two. But for $40 delivered, I'm going to try the Triple Black first before spending the money for the Fidelio or the Protostar.

The Triple Black doesn't have much sheen and seems to be quite effective for knocking out the quasi-black (okay...digital gray) bars and handles image spill pretty well.

I also had a sample of $20 yd. stuff from a local fabric store that had a good bit more sheen than the Triple Black, and was a tad lighter in color.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey /forum/post/16977009

I've got samples of Triple Black from Syfabrics and Fidelio from Vouge Fabrics, and the Fidelio is definitely the better of the two. But for $40 delivered, I'm going to try the Triple Black first before spending the money for the Fidelio or the Protostar.

My own experience with the TBV is that it has by far the best value/performance ratio. Fidelio is more a "Dress" oriented fabric, and thereby costs over 2x...sometimes 3x more than TBV, but offers nothing more than a lower, dressier "nap" which BTW is exactly what you don't want. Madonna "Double Eagle" Velvet is on par with Fidelo, and usually every bit as expensive

Basically, and despite some opinions to the contrary...I'm totally focused on doing the best possible DIY job...and acquiring the best possible results...for absolutely the least amount of expenditure....and with the least amount of trouble. Simply and discreetly put, it behooves me to do so.

But I won't ever fudge on at least doing what I can to accomplish ALL of the above.....so your decision to try TBV first is in keeping with the same sort of decision I'd make...,

....If that even matters.....

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/16977626

But I won't ever fudge on at least doing what I can to accomplish ALL of the above.....so your decision to try TBV first is in keeping with the same sort of decision I'd make...,

I subscribe to that concept. In a lot of things audio/video wise, I have to make some compromises economically. There are some areas where I'll spend the bucks, and some areas where I have to cut a corner or two. I ain't no Lawyer, Doctor, insert your fave money maker here.

While I want a Masquerade, right now it's not feasible. In better economy days, it might be different. So, for now....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169586

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.