AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of my stuff in a closet that is about 15ft away from the seating area. I want to control my Comcast Box, Yamaha Receiver, SONY Flatscreen, PS3, My grafik eye light switches and Possibly a xbox down the road. I have read the Harmony 890 is good. Any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
971 Posts
You will need a 3rd party device for controlling the PS3. See this remote central article for your options http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews...dup/index.html Everything else can be done with IR.

The 890 ships with the RF extender so you dont need any additional products or wiring. I havent used a harmony remote but they seem to be quite popular with end users. The plus for using a consumer product is that there is no red tape for getting access to programming software and support. Your not forced to go thru a dealer. Your system is straight forward and the harmony 890 should work well for your application.

Another product to look at is the URC MX-810 & MX-450. Both will require the MRF-260 making the total package apx $350.00 (at amazon). These are technically professional products but they are sold to consumers directly. The 810 has PC wizard based programming and the 450 programming is done right on the remote.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Asking for a remote reccomendation is a lot like asking for financial advice. There are many differnt products and in order to give you the best option several factors need to be considered - your needs, the ergonomic design your after, LCD or hard button or both, budget, size of system and specifics, as well as others. I am putting together a program that will reccomend a remote based on a series of questions and it should be available on my website www.totalcontrolremotes.com sometime next week. In the meantime, you should provide some information on some of the thnigs I touched on above.

A lot of people ask me what kind of computer should I buy? It's an impossible question to answer knowing nothing else. It's the same type of thing here.

Regards,

Vincent

·
Registered
15,378 Posts
First you need to set a budget. A $10 remote plus a $40 RF system will work fine. So will a $2000 remote. All PS3 solutions will work with any universal. Next decide the features you want, then give us those parameters and ask again. It's a bit like saying, "I need to drive somewhere. What car should I get?" There are thousands of solutions that will get you from A to B. If you don't know what features you want, then the solution will be more budget driven.

I'd avoid the 900 until they decide if they want to give it sequences like every other universal remote on the planet. $400 is a lot to pay for any remote, much less one that's been so severely crippled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'ved done a number of Harmony remotes, Phillips Pronto, and more recently a few various URC's. In my experience, the easiest remotes overall to program are the Harmony's and they've had the most user friendly end product. I personally work with mostly Crestron products, but absolutely love the Harmony One for one room systems. In my opinion for the price you can't beat the options, end product, and user interface of the Harmony One.

Good luck with your search; you can pick the harmony one up at best buy for around $250 and on amazon for $200 ( but the harmony one specifically will require either an ir repeater (ie xantech) or the rf add on to work in your situation)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts