AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my old 60GB drive with a new 500GB drive. Everything went fairly smoothly, but I am noticing a big discrepancy in the amount of space taken up from the old drive to the new drive.

Before, I was roughly at 30GB left out of 55GB.

Now, it says I am at 396GB left out of 465GB.

How the hell did I go from having 25GB on my old drive to now having 69GB on my new drive?

It's basically telling me I now have more on my new drive than would have ever fit on my old drive to begin with.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Remember that just because the box says 500gb, you're technically not getting all of that.

I'm guessing that the PS3 can tell how big a hard drive is and thus will take up more space for it's own partitioning. I can't be certain but with a bigger hard drive, the PS3 could be placing more files on the HDD rather than on the cache/RAM.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/17012059

Remember that just because the box says 500gb, you're technically not getting all of that.

I'm guessing that the PS3 can tell how big a hard drive is and thus will take up more space for it's own partitioning. I can't be certain but with a bigger hard drive, the PS3 could be placing more files on the HDD rather than on the cache/RAM.

While that may sound impressive to the n00bs, it really doesn't make any sense. The PS3 has only 256MB of RAM for main memory and 256MB for video memory. How does .5GB of RAM can somehow account for a missing 44GB of disk space? And what is this cache you speak of?

Two potential reasons (educated guesses, but I have no real insight as to the filesystem used by the PS3 OS):
  • For most operating systems, a larger disk size often requires a larger block size (a disk block being the smallest allocatable portion of a disk that can be referenced by the OS's file allocation table). If there are many small files stored on the PS3, a large block size would be very inefficient, requiring much more physical disk space to store the same data.
  • Additional fixed storage allocated per user account for game data (or other media), based on a percentage of the total disk space. My theory is that each installed game requires a certain amount of disk storage allocated for configuration options on a per-user basis, and that the space is allocated even though other accounts haven't actually played all games installed. I'm much less certain of this than the likelihood of the first option. As I said, just a guess, and a less educated one than the first . . .

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically, if I'm understanding this correctly, the larger the hard drive you place in the the PS3, the more space it will take up when it reformats it?

Sounds strange, but it is what it is I guess. Just kinda sucks that so much space has been taken. Granted, I'll probably never fill this thing to capacity, but to see 35GB gone right from the beginning when the old drive only took up 5GB to start and then see it eat up even more after the reformat is weird.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You should start by comparing files from one drive to another. That alone may answer your question. It's even possible different size clusters could account for some of it. Also, what about your temp folders? Is there a difference in size of your virtual drive?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts