AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Les' LT150 with DVD on HTPC, prog. DVD, and Dish 6000 HD. I'd peg the image quality on HTPC as about halfway between prog. DVD and HD.

I assume PQ with an iscan is about the same as with prog. DVD.

The question is, how much closer to HTPC will a Quadscan or Crystalimage (namely something that costs less than the LT150) take the image quality?

I really really really don't want to fuss with a PC, but if that's what it takes to get near that quality, I may have to.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm using a CI with my LT150, and my initial impressions are very good. However, I haven't used it with an HTPC for an apples to apples comparison. I've also not had the chance to watch much programming yet, so I don't want to offer my opinion until I've put the thing through the paces. As I say, though, my initial impression is that it is a very good picture and is a worthwhile investment, particularly if you pick up a deal on a used one. I'll post more about it in a few days.

·
Registered
846 Posts
This won't help Noah, but for those who are tracking this thread and might be of the same mind as me (scary)....

I was very skeptical of the differences between HTPC and progressive DVD. I figured the tech-heads were biased toward a computer that gave them a 0.3% increase in picture quality that you would only be able to see if you had 20/10 vision or a seeing eye dog. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration.

Suffice it to say, I was totally blown away when I saw what Tom's HTPC could do with DVD and am now seriously considering one myself.

--Les

·
Registered
408 Posts
Les & Noah-

I'm leaning toward taking the HTPC plunge too. I think if there was no DTS/Radeon problem I would probably already be using one. The techies over in the HTPC forum have some good resource threads for beginners. I haven't decided on whether to build my own ("Hey, I played Operation as a kid-how much harder could it be?") or buy pre-assembled.

Kirk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used a sony VIOA laptop and a JVC progressive scan DVD player (via VGA/GPrPb home made break out cable connection). I must say among the progressive source i have tried, the JVC XV-D721BK gave me a very very good picture.

I have yet to try a HTPC. I am not sure how much better I can get with HTPC that can justify me to go to a more expensive route.

MY JVC only costed me CAN $430 +tax (it has DVD-Audio and DD,DTS decoder - hard to beat price) The new one S60BK w/o decoder only costs CAN$399.

Can people who have experience in trying all progressive sources comment please?

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lmo,

Have you had a chance to see a prog. DVD player and/or HD directly into the LT150, and if so, how do they compare with the CI on DVD?

Also I'm very curious as to how "livable" the CI is on a day-to-day basis, i.e., once it's set up, does it have glitches and do you have to fuss with it, does it quickly sync when switcing sources, or anything else worth mentioning.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

[This message has been edited by noah katz (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here's what I have used with the LT150

AVS HTPC with GeForce 2

AVS HTPC with Radeon (using WinDVD player)

Toshiba 5109 Proscan DVD player

Panasonic RP91 Proscan DVD player

This is how I rate them in order of preference with respect to image quality.

AVS HTPC with Radeon Video card

AVS HTPC with GeForce Video card

Toshiba 5109

Panasonic RP91

The HTPC cost me 5 times as much as my RP91 and was worth every penny!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I compared HTPC(Radeon 64/ATI) with my Pioneer 38A and I was unable to decide which was better. I guess I need to hook up my other LT150 and compare both at the same time on the same screen with the same feed. Sounds like a lot of trouble so I'll probably just keep using my DVD player. I see motion artifacts with the HTPC.

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grant,

At what point between the quality of the RP91 and HTPC would you place the 5109? Say, to the nearest quarter; for example, 3/4 of the way between RP91 and HTPC.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i'm tied up in knots right now trying to decide which way to go.

i was sure i was just going to go the progressive player route and then save the HTPC for the eventual upgrade itch that will occur inevitably.

but big the thing holding me back is the breakout cable.

i cna't for the life of me find anyone locally who even knows what i'm takling about. even radio shack doesn't have the BNC adapters. if i end up ordering online, from bettercables most likely, i'll being paying several hundred $ for just the connection and then may find out the picture from a prog dvd just isn't getting me where i want to be.

i was thinking of auditioning an open-box 6200 ( should be at least as good as the 5109, unless they changed something crucial, right?) or taking the plunge with a new Kenwood...but damn, i just don't know...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
How long of a breakout are you wanting to use?

How does this grab you (they have them from 6' to 50')... http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...les.com&rcode=

As for the adapters which change the BNC ends of the breakout to male RCA plugs I just bought 3 last week at a local Radio Shack store. Right here it is... http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fn ame=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F001%5F002&produc t%5Fid=278%2D250

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't forget that if you can solder you can make your own high quality cable using cat 5e networking wire available from home depot. They had it the last time I checked. The original discussion is here cat5e

------------------

> There can be only one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Grant,

Can you comment more on your RP91 vs 5109 ranking. Why do you think the 5109 is better. I have both players and briefly tried both with the LT150 and thought the RP91 was better. I did not do an extensive comparison so am interested in your thoughts.

ckolchak,

I had the same problem. I tried CompUSA, RadioShack, BestBuy and others. Nobody knew what I was talking about. I eventually ordered a 6ft BelKin VGA/BNC breakout cable from CDW and then discovered that BestBuy had one sitting on the shelf but nobody knew what it was!! It was a good thing I ordered it from CDW because I got it for $27.00 and the exact same cable at BestBuy was $50.00. Many B&M's stock Belkin products so should be able to order it for you if you tell them exactly what you want. You will need BNC to RCA connectors. Radio Shack has them (gold plated). Make sure you get female to male. Also, my laptop running WinDVD looks better than my 5109 and RP91 and so I am sure the HTPC is the way to go. However I occasionally notice "jerkiness" with WinDVD. Hopefully this anomaly is eliminated with a dedicated HTPC.

[This message has been edited by j albert morgan (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
jalbert,

I bought (and just received it this morning) a DVD drive for my Dell Latitude (CPiA with PII 400).

I put WinDVD 2000 and PowerDVD 2.5 in it. I too am having a devil of a time with jerkiness using WinDVD. But PowerDVD is running a whole lots more smoothly. I have no idea why this is because I used to use WinDVD in a PII 400 desktop and did not experience the jerkiness. So don't think it's related to the CPU speed. But you might get improvement with PowerDVD.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.