AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend beefy 15" drivers for small ported boxes? (similar to TC Sounds)

Looking for 15" drivers on the beefier side for smaller sized slot ported boxes (around 3-4 cubic ft.)

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

This was actually why I loved TC Sounds, they used to make big drivers for small ported boxes, like the TC 2000.

I know a lot of people suggest Ultimax, but they just want too big of a box for my liking.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Looking for drivers on the beefier side for smaller sized slot ported boxes (around 3-4 cubic ft.)

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

This was actually why I loved TC Sounds, they used to make big drivers for small ported boxes, like the TC 2000.

I know a lot of people suggest Ultimax, but they just want too big of a box for my liking.
First, what are your goals for this build? Low extension, loud, music only, HT, etc?

Also, what kind of SPL are you looking for?

Budget?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, what are your goals for this build? Low extension, loud, music only, HT, etc?

Also, what kind of SPL are you looking for?

Budget?
My main mission is to find drivers that extend low in a small box with a long slot port. Not too concerned about musicality. Price is not an issue, either.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looking for 15" drivers. :)
Sorry missed that, I blame lack of sleep.
Seems you can't find any of the TC drivers except the 12" anymore so that's out.

The Orion HCCA makes a 15" model as well, a very good sub, though I'm not sure how well it does in small boxes without simming it.

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-HCCA152-HCCA-4000W-Subwoofer/dp/B0069Z2YQS

JBL's W15GTI is supposed to be really good, though not as bulletproof as some of the car audio subs. You might have to buy direct from them.

http://www.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/W15GTI+MKII.html

Ebay oldschool LMS-5200 15"

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TC-Sounds-5200-15-Subwoofer-Quad-1-4-Ohm-4-Coil-2000w-FREE-SHIPPING-/331861025386?hash=item4d4475626a:g:T1kAAOSw9k5XP4ll

Edit: Sundown audio makes 15" Versions of the Zv3 / Zv4 and apparently they have a Zv5 out now?

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers-2

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I bet if you contact Nick at SI he might be able to hook you up with an HST-15 or 2. I thought I remembered him saying he had the parts to make them if people wanted... could be wrong though, either way it might be worth a phone call...

Also, you might check out the Eminence Lab 15.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet if you contact Nick at SI he might be able to hook you up with an HST-15 or 2. I thought I remembered him saying he had the parts to make them if people wanted... could be wrong though, either way it might be worth a phone call...

Also, you might check out the Eminence Lab 15.
The SI-15 wants a bigger box.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm think you might either need to drop down to a 12" driver or be willing to accept some compromises of using a driver in a slightly smaller box than ideal...
Hello fellow Texan, btw. :) *tips hat*

Reactions: squiers007

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The Dayton RSS390HO works just fine in 3 CF tuned to 25 or possibly less if you can keep the port size where you need. Lower tunes might benefit from the larger box to help with the port.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Looking for 15" drivers. :)
Hopefully I dont get flamed but, Pierce Audio will build what you want , any way you want, I had these made for an IB. I had some 12's made which just shipped today. Drawback is there are no specs, he builds to order. My 18's were built for an IB and thus wont work any other alignment. I dont have any complaints with the service

Attachments

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
if price really doesn't matter, the mtx 9515 is probably worth taking a look at.
if price does matter, the alpine swr15 may be an option.
both will work in a small ported.
iirc, josh has reviewed both (perhaps older gen 9515?) at data-bass.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Parts Express still has about a dozen LMS-R 12" Tc sounds drivers. They work well in 2.5 cubic foot boxes so 4 of them has some serious output. Use 2 in each 5 cubic foot box ported to 19hz. 2 of them has near the same output as most 18's regardless of cost.

·
Registered
588 Posts
if price really doesn't matter, the mtx 9515 is probably worth taking a look at.
if price does matter, the alpine swr15 may be an option.
both will work in a small ported.
iirc, josh has reviewed both (perhaps older gen 9515?) at data-bass.
That driver is a monster, but you can't find any of them, afaik. (maybe better luck down there?)
I've looked everywhere, even ebay has only a few, and they're the smaller drivers.

I still say the Orion HCCA-15", its' a beast for $450

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
That driver is a monster, but you can't find any of them, afaik. (maybe better luck down there?)
I've looked everywhere, even ebay has only a few, and they're the smaller drivers.

I still say the Orion HCCA-15", its' a beast for $450

https://www.mtx.com/t9515-44-car-audio-subwoofer
https://www.mtx.com/9515-22-car-audio-subwoofer
both the older one and the newer model can be added to the shopping cart, so i am guessing they are in stock.
i haven't looked into if/how the two models are different (other than d4 d2).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully I dont get flamed but, Pierce Audio will build what you want , any way you want, I had these made for an IB. I had some 12's made which just shipped today. Drawback is there are no specs, he builds to order. My 18's were built for an IB and thus wont work any other alignment. I dont have any complaints with the service
Why would you get flamed?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
SI and Dayton get a lot of love here, which Im not knocking their gear, its on point. Never know if some are tired of me recommending them, Im still in noob status. Im actually suprised there hasnt been more interest in them simply since he'll build to suit.

IIRC there was someone brought up that a manufacturers TS specs didnt match the specs on the purchased drivers, I dont remember who or how far off it was. Specs are great if they are correct, but unless everyone is measuring, from what I understand some can be off by up to 20%. Pierces measurements are after the build is complete, seems like there would be some value in that. could he be giving false specs, sure, but I would think he wouldnt still be in business if he was.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts