Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I've had my Sharp 9000 for a bit over 2 years and am thinking of replacing it. The projector has worked out well for us, but there are a few things I would like to improve.

First of all I would like a quieter projector. The 9000 is much too loud.

Next I would like a projector that has slightly more realistic colors than the 9000. The 9000 isn't bad, but evrey once in a while the grass is just too green.

I would like a projector that gives decent quality from S-Video sources. I have never been able to connect DirecTV or a VCR to the Sharp 9000 because anything over the the S-Video input looks terrible. I'm sort of tired having to switch between my RPTV for S-Video sources and the Sharp for higher resolution sources.

I would like to get a projector with less 'overscan' (or whatever it is called in digital projectors).

An obvious choice would be the new Sharp models, but I'd like to know if there are other, better choices.

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Plus Piano is so named because, in Italian, it means "quiet". Great colors. I use the S-video input for watching my CATV signal, no problem. DVI input for DVDs (Bravo 1 DVD player). Price now $1400. Don't know what you mean by "overscan," but there are always unused pixels, and thus always some light going out that is outside the picture. There may be newer, better PJs out there, but this one is a pleasure to own.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hyrax,

You could be in the wrong forum ... if you are looking for a comparable upgrade to your Sharp 9000 ... you are probably looking at the BenQ PE8700 (or PE8710 when it is released) or the Optoma H76 (if it is ever released).

If noise is your main concern, I would take a look at the Optoma.

But both of these are in the $5000 price range.

If you are considering swapping the 9000 for something in the

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric-
Quote:
You could be in the wrong forum
You're probably right, but I'm being optimistic (or foolish) and am starting with lower cost PJs. For example, I forgot all about the Plus Piano.

I'll check out all of the projectors you and Tom suggested.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Optimism is good ... especially now-a-days.

Some of the popular projectors in this forum stand up quite nicely alongside a Z9000. It just takes a little poking around. And sometimes a little compromise. :)

By the way ... I see you are from Gloucester. I've been out that way, back while in the Coast Guard (I was actually stationed in Newburyport but used to travel down quite a bit for training).

Gorgeous town ... but the weather is a little 'raw' this time of year for my blood :D

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric -
Quote:
Gorgeous town ... but the weather is a little 'raw' this time of year for my blood
I woke up a week ago and it was -13, which might be considered a bit raw to someone from Florida. But it is my home town so I'm sticking it out. My house is on a hill where I can see all of Ipswich Bay and I actually did see a Coast Guard cutter heading toward Newburyport on that chilly morning. I always admire those guys, particularly at this time of year.

As I said in my first post, my main concern is noise. I'm just sick of fan noise. I'll gladly take a small hit in PQ for a near silent pj.

The one thing I cannot compromise is throw distance, however. I need to find something I can put the same distance from the screen as I now have the Sharp 9000.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hyrax, don't forget the Infocus 7200 and 5700 (prices just dropped), Toshiba MT8 (same as infocus 7200) Studio Experience 50HD and 30HD, maybe even NEC HT1000 or 1100 (when released). Nice to have options. If your not adverse to looking at LCD, might want to try the Sony HS20, Sanyo Z2 or Panasonic AE500. Some report the pq of the Sony better than the 9000. Might be a low cost alternative.

Good luck in your quest !

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I think you need to answer a couple of questions first.

1. How much are you trying to spend

2. LCD or DLP

3. What features and performance interests you other than Svideo and better colours suit you..

There are many projectors available now that can match or better the performance of the 9000 which I believe is now 3 years old.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Frankly, I think that some of the projectors on this forum are probably equal to the 9K, but I don't think that any of them are noticably better. If you want a real step up, you should be looking at a HD2. You could probably find a used Sharp 10K at a nice price. Otherwise, I'd give it a year and you'll probably be able to find an inexpensive projector that will really feel like an improvement.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
"starting with lower cost PJs"

Two XGA DLP HT projectors will fit the bill.

Nec HT1000

Optoma H56

You might be able to get the Optoma for under 3k. Both PJ's have the six segment color wheel and high contrast DDR chip. They produce stunning picture quality very close to the five and six K machines but with a big difference in price. Be looking at the Optoma first since deals can be found.

If you really want to go cheap look at the Optoma H30, it's SVGA but I had the Z9000 and prefer it's higher contrast image. Not best for HDTV but dynamite for DVD, also the scaler does well for Direct TV/s-video etc.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Definitely a winner, after seeing the face off with the HT1000 and buying the cheaper model I've been recommending the H56 due to the somewhat lower price.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Optoma H56 does look like a winner. I'm a little worried about its noise level, however. The Sony HS20 is described as a quiet projector (and I believe it has a higher resolution than the H56), so it is slightly more appealing to me. I'm going to try to find local dealers and check out those two to see which one works out the best.

The Plus Piano is also appealing except I'm not sure how it will work when I wall mount it almost flush against the rear wall.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daekwan -

I'm happy with a DLP projector, but would welcome a LCD. I don't really care about a particular technology as much as I care about fan noise. I'm going to be sitting 12 feet away from a 96" screen, so I believe that screen door effect will not be an issue.

Price is not the main issue (except my wife will get violent if I bring home a Z12000). I would vastly prefer spending $3000 than $5000, but if I don't find a good $3000 pj, I'll save up enough to get a more expensive one. I'm not in a rush.

As I stated, my main concern is fan noise. I didn't state directly that I wish to improve the PQ of everything I watch. The Sharp 9000 does a very good job with DVDs and HD sources. While I don't want to step down from what I've already got, I'm not a PQ fanatic.

The only other feature that I'd look for that I didn't mention before is more connections. It seems that the future requires DVI input.

Thanks for your questions, they helped me think about what I want.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom -

It is a good thread and there are still some pictures in it.

The Optoma H56 does look good. I suppose I could buy a hush box...

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
No way, Tom!

Since the H56 review is now online, we had somehow messed up everything... :rolleyes:

But now everything is once again in its place, and shots are up again: we are not out of soace since we do pay for it...

Here we are: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=optoma+H56

And your rights as free HTProjectors subscriber are still intact ;) !

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i just seen the sharp 9000/firehawk 106 diag the other day again. and compared it to a sharp 10000/studiotek 110 diag, on the other room. to be honest, both throw a similar image. the sharp 10k is just a bit brighter (but this could be due to the screen material.

if i were you, see a sharp 10k first or any other hd2 chipped projectors before upgrading.

and i have no idea why anyone will take an HT1000 over a sharp 9k. you sacrifice your HD resolution for a bit better blacks. which doesn't seem to be an upgrade to me at all! the sharp 9k already has good blacks that isn't worth complaining about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.