AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been unable to find any of the mineral wools listed in most online guides and this is pretty much the only thing available near me. Is anyone able to tell me if this will work well for a DIY acoustic panel?

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of suppliers if you're willing to go online. Not sure on what you linked, but here's what I used for mine.

OC703
I guess I forgot to mention this but online tends to be above my budget, especially given the high shipping costs.

I used these to make panels for my office:

The minimum quantity if you order online is 3 packs, but if you go into the store you can just buy one. I built a 48x60 panel and a 24x96 panel for my office to reduce the echo/reverb and it worked beautifully.
The closest Lowes to me is an hour away. I may consider it though

Reactions: Teeeejay

·
Registered
285 Posts
The closest Lowes to me is an hour away. I may consider it though
That's a shame, I've seen lots of people use this insulation to great success. I put it in some 1x6 frames with an air gap behind it which apparently works better than just putting it right on the wall. I'd imagine that would be really expensive right now too with the cost of wood.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I used Safe N Sound also. I believe Owens Corning 703 is the go to but for me I couldn't find it locally and the shipping cost (at least for me) was a deal breaker. Bad thing about Safe N Sound is I have a couple small spots on my panels when it wants to pooch out a little since it's not rigid like OC703.

If you want some creative looking panels you can look here: DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

I did 4 and I really like how mine look but I do wish the black on the material was a deeper black (I used the performance fabric).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a shame, I've seen lots of people use this insulation to great success. I put it in some 1x6 frames with an air gap behind it which apparently works better than just putting it right on the wall. I'd imagine that would be really expensive right now too with the cost of wood.
Do you know if the air gap has to be an open air gap? For example, if the material is 3inches thick, and I ues a 4 inch frame, would that 1 inch of gap within the frame count?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do you know if the air gap has to be an open air gap? For example, if the material is 3inches thick, and I ues a 4 inch frame, would that 1 inch of gap within the frame count?
That was my interpretation of the air gap. That's how my panels are. I also put some cheap paper on the back (the kind that comes in big rolls) to keep any loose insulation in. So basically behind the insulation is roughly 2" thick of air between it and the paper.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was my interpretation of the air gap. That's how my panels are. I also put some cheap paper on the back (the kind that comes in big rolls) to keep any loose insulation in. So basically behind the insulation is roughly 2" thick of air between it and the paper.
That certainly would make hanging things with an air gap easier for me. I wonder if anyone else here can chime in on if that's how it works

·
Registered
164 Posts
That certainly would make hanging things with an air gap easier for me. I wonder if anyone else here can chime in on if that's how it works
That's how I built my panels as well, I believe that's the correct way to do it based on my research back when I built them, although this was over 3 years ago so my memory may be slightly off. But I think any airgap behind the insulation will help.

Reactions: Teeeejay

·
Registered
285 Posts
I also put some cheap 1x3 as bracing along the back, and on one of the 1x3s I put cut up pieces of metal carpet edging to hang them.

This is the guide I followed. I just made my panels deeper.

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Density is not mentioned anywhere here, and it is important along with panel thickness. OC 703 is only 3 pounds per cubic foot density. Nominal density for broadband acoustic absorption is 6 pounds per cubic foot. That's the spec to look for. Roxul is 6lb.

·
Registered
70 Posts

This is a great resource for acoustic properties of various types of insulation. You might want to try wholesalers in your area if you are having trouble locating specific items. I was able to get in contact with one near me for linacoustic duct insulation which saved me big on shipping.

For panels (which is next on my list to build), I ended up doing 1.5” Roxul Comfortboard 80 … gets close to the OC 703 but does it at 0.5” less thickness. My room is very narrow so that factored into my decision.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Is there any acoustic panel companies, people, consultants near Toronto that anyone knows of?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

This is a great resource for acoustic properties of various types of insulation. You might want to try wholesalers in your area if you are having trouble locating specific items. I was able to get in contact with one near me for linacoustic duct insulation which saved me big on shipping.

For panels (which is next on my list to build), I ended up doing 1.5” Roxul Comfortboard 80 … gets close to the OC 703 but does it at 0.5” less thickness. My room is very narrow so that factored into my decision.

good luck!

Thank you, I love you for this link aha. Looks like the Rockwool safe and sound will work just fine for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts

good luck!

Safe N sound is available to me like 10 mins away and it's got some solid stats, looks good to me.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i got same stuff, different brand...

just keep in mind it isn't rigid like rockboard, or oc 703/705
What stuff are you referring to? The Roxul safe n sound?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts