AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't see anything that compares for the price. The thing weighs almost 40 lbs! Listened to a 2809 Denon the other day, and even that was a step up from the competition.

Don't need wireless or "networking" because I use my PC as a media server.

Running B&W cdm1 bookshelf mains rated for 8 ohms and a 3500 cu ft room.

Running subwoofers for both music and movies, so I want to be able to run my subwoofers while in "direct/bypass stereo" modes

Anything I'm missing out there?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH beat out the Denon 3808 for sound quality by a slim margin in my at home trial of the 2.

I already owned both so it wasn't a choice due to 1 having to go back just for curiosity sake.

The Denon is a great unit though and MUCH better than the Onkyo 805 I was also trying out at the same time. The Onkyo was unlistenable compared to the Denon and Pioneer.

The 94 has since been replaced by the SC-05 which is also very good as I have auditioned it at home as well but the VSX-94TXH is just as good IMO. Actually I just notice the SC-05 has just been replaced as well but have no idea how good the replacement is.

I really did like the on-screen volume via HDMI that the Denon had which the Pioneer lacks but the sound was just a bit crisper and more detailed with the Pioneer without sounding harsh.

I was comparing the 3 receivers while my $10K Halcro SSP-100 was away getting an upgrade so my standards were already very high. The Denon and Pioneer Elite surprised me at how good a receiver can sound now, not to say they are as good as the Halcro but they are good none the less.

I think you would be happy with either receiver but once I popped in the Pioneer Elite I could not put the Denon back in as that extra clarity won me over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/17010829

The Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH beat out the Denon 3808 for sound quality by a slim margin in my at home trial of the 2.

I already owned both so it wasn't a choice due to 1 having to go back just for curiosity sake.

The Denon is a great unit though and MUCH better than the Onkyo 805 I was also trying out at the same time. The Onkyo was unlistenable compared to the Denon and Pioneer.

The 94 has since been replaced by the SC-05 which is also very good as I have auditioned it at home as well but the VSX-94TXH is just as good IMO. Actually I just notice the SC-05 has just been replaced as well but have no idea how good the replacement is.

I really did like the on-screen volume via HDMI that the Denon had which the Pioneer lacks but the sound was just a bit crisper and more detailed with the Pioneer without sounding harsh.

I was comparing the 3 receivers while my $10K Halcro SSP-100 was away getting an upgrade so my standards were already very high. The Denon and Pioneer Elite surprised me at how good a receiver can sound now, not to say they are as good as the Halcro but they are good none the less.

I think you would be happy with either receiver but once I popped in the Pioneer Elite I could not put the Denon back in as that extra clarity won me over.

Thanks for your input, I did not have the chance to audition the SC-05, but my previous receiver was a Pioneer 52tx, and I really liked it's sound signature. It's just that it broke.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The Yamaha RX-V1900 might have comparable benchmarks, but I could not find a 3808 benchmark to compare.

Not sure about direct/bypass mode. I do know that in Yamaha's Direct mode, there's no bass management, which seems like what you would want, otherwise it's not really a pure direct mode

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good Question, I have been Eye balling this 3808 real real hard and the Yami's and Pioneer Sc-05,07's. Here is the Ball breaker Pioneer,Yami are Made in Malaysia or China
Denon 3808,4310 Made in Japan
who has the better Assembly line and parts!! I would say Japan!!! Also the Fact the 3808 can keep getting updates via Denon Link! Gotta like that too! I just may spend the extra$$ and go for the 4310

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Really? I would not assume Japanese made gear is better than gear made in other countries with no proof of that. Where did you get your data?

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak /forum/post/17011506

Good Question, I have been Eye balling this 3808 real real hard and the Yami's and Pioneer Sc-05,07's. Here is the Ball breaker Pioneer,Yami are Made in Malaysia or China
Denon 3808,4310 Made in Japan
who has the better Assembly line and parts!! I would say Japan!!! Also the Fact the 3808 can keep getting updates via Denon Link! Gotta like that too! I just may spend the extra$$ and go for the 4310

I'd put my money on the newest country to be manufacturing to have the most current tooling (assembly plant), and parts are made worldwide. It's a non issue really.

What an issue I think is that the Denon has the best room correction (IMO) and the 3808ci also has Audyssey "Pro" capability.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/17015667

Really? I would not assume Japanese made gear is better than gear made in other countries with no proof of that. Where did you get your data?

lol... interestingly enough, if you of a "certain age", you remember when "made in japan" certainly wasn't looked upon as an advantage...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17016680

lol... interestingly enough, if you of a "certain age", you remember when "made in japan" certainly wasn't looked upon as an advantage...

For sure. Cheap transistor radios and such

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne /forum/post/17016601

What an issue I think is that the Denon has the best room correction (IMO) and the 3808ci also has Audyssey "Pro" capability.

Honestly both with room correction engaged or not the Pioneer Elite was slightly better SQ wise. I have no reason to bash Denon and my brother wound up with the 3808 I had and loves it with good reason.

You can't go wrong with either unit though, I just happened to be fortunate enough to use both in my system for a month to see which I liked better.

As far as the Made in Japan vs China debate I wish these were all Made in the USA myself or North America for my Canadian friends.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, being made in Japan isn't neccessarily going to be an improvement over china/taiwan, but typically it is. The reason is that the Japanese tend to support their own businesses and will use Japanese made components over chinese, etc. Japanese capacitors are typically known for being much higher quality than chinese/taiwanese made capacitors, just as an example.

But yes, all things considered, high end AVRs like this are going to be built to the manufacturer's specifications. And if the manufacturer is specifying high quality internal components, such as the transistors, they'll make it with that. They are typically just made in china to take advantage of cheap labor.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/17016917

Honestly both with room correction engaged or not the Pioneer Elite was slightly better SQ wise. I have no reason to bash Denon and my brother wound up with the 3808 I had and loves it with good reason.

You can't go wrong with either unit though, I just happened to be fortunate enough to use both in my system for a month to see which I liked better.

As far as the Made in Japan vs China debate I wish these were all Made in the USA myself or North America for my Canadian friends.

That's interesting, but you're right you can't go wrong with any of them, although it's not my favorite even Yamaha's YPAO significantly improved in the 700 series. The new Pioneers use the ICE amps that I'm a big fan of so they've all got pluses.

The 3808ci using Audyssey "Pro" gives you a few more EQ options, like more target curves, mid-range compensation defeat etc.

As to where things are made, I think for the world to become a better place in general we've got to spread the wealth around.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17016680

That reminds me of a scene in "Back To The Future", when Doc says "No wonder this circuit failed, it says made in Japan." Marty replies with, "What do you mean, Doc, all the best stuff is made in Japan."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.