AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hsu gives a foam plugs with their ported subs. You can use those plugs to seal the ports and use the sub as sealed. Although, their amps also allows you to tune it differently for the sealed mode.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx
It is possible and get nice results if I take a ported sub and seal the hole; so it can be converted into a sealed sub?
Ported subs are generally tuned to be ported, and plugging their port would probably mess with that.

Why do you want a sealed sub?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa
Ported subs are generally tuned to be ported, and plugging their port would probably mess with that.

Why do you want a sealed sub?
I just wanted to test how good a sealed sub performs against movies. I heared sealed subs are better for music but i want to compare both to see if theres a huge difference of a sealed sub for movies. I have a Pl200 for movies and an old cerwin vega lw12 ported sub and take this cerwin vega and sealed it to see what happens. Nothing much to lose. The speaker of the cerwin vega is 4 ohms. I can get a compact car 12" pioneer sub as a replacement just in case the cerwin vega sub blows away.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The driver in the box is what decides whether the enclosure should be sealed or ported. The box is ported for a reason. You will have significantly less output with the port blocked. You can seal the enclosure, but you should put a driver in it that is designed for a sealed enclosure for the best results.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/19634039

I just wanted to test how good a sealed sub performs against movies. I heared sealed subs are better for music but i want to compare both to see if theres a huge difference of a sealed sub for movies. I have a Pl200 for movies and an old cerwin vega lw12 ported sub and take this cerwin vega and sealed it to see what happens. Nothing much to lose. The speaker of the cerwin vega is 4 ohms. I can get a compact car 12" pioneer sub as a replacement just in case the cerwin vega sub blows away.

I used to own a Cerwin Vega LW 15. I can tell you your wasting your time sealing that sub. It's already underpowered with it's port design and it's sound quality was horrible in my opinion. So I have no idea what you hope to gain by sealing an underpowered ported sub with bad sound quality

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts
I used to own a Cerwin Vega LW 15. I can tell you your wasting your time sealing that sub. It's already underpowered with it's port design and it's sound quality was horrible in my opinion. So I have no idea what you hope to gain by sealing an underpowered ported sub with bad sound quality
Agreed with you.. I have Cerwin Vega LW12; I ordered a component subwoofer speaker; Pioneer TS-W303R for $30. I removed the Cerwin Vega speaker and add this Pioneer. For my surprise; with this new speaker the subwoofer sounds lot BETTER. The thing is that the Amplifier of the Cerwin Vega supposed to be 150W; but I believe its a lot lesser. It barely moves the Pioneer subwoofer. I have to set volume on the subwoofer almost all.. The good thing its that sounds better. But my next idea is to do my own sealed box and use this Pioneer sub to see what happens!...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts