AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha 5.1 HT receiver system, and I am preparing to upgrade the speakers.

Recently I purchased a BIC V1020 Sub woofer for the system. (Grand daughter stuffed a toy into the old one).

I now want to upgrade the 4 surround speakers, and the Center speaker.

I found a set of 5 BOSE double cube speakers for $150 on Craigslist, and have 2 questions regarding them.

1) Can you hook up BOSE Cube speakers to a Yamaha receiver? (I am not familiar with BOSE hookups: My current speakers use the normal 2 wire hookups).

2) If they can be used with my receiver, is $150 dollars an OK price for 5 used double cue BOSE speakers.

Thanks for any information you have on this.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would save up and get something much better. The problem with Bose is that they are missing a high frequency driver and they roll off at like 300hz which is ridiculously high. Trying to find a subwoofer to match those speakers will be very difficult. Otherwise you will have to accept that anything from 140hz-250hz will be almost inaudible. That is a very large null in a quite important frequency range.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Any speaker which has small drivers and no tweeter will be compromised! Look for something different....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Most Bose speakers have the really cheap spring clip connectors so I'm sure you can physically connect them. The problem is that you'll be missing a big chunk of the audible frequency range with the Bose cubes. IMO, you can find better speakers for not much more money. From what I've read, you have a solid sub, but will probably be disappointed with the cubes.

You could get something like th the DefTech or Energy systems in the links below for $200-250 and be much better off.

Definitive Technology ProCinema You could sell one of the subs and come out cheaper than the Bose cubes.

or

Energy Take 5's for $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts