Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Expert friends here,

My father bought me a Bose LifeStyle 12 system which includes a sub-wof, five satellite speakers and one subwoofer. I am now planning to buy a 3rd party amp to connect to the five speakers to enjoy DTS movies.

Somebody told me when connecting the amp with speakers, I need to make sure the "ohm" of the speakers and the amp should be set at the same setting. However, Bose refuses to disclose their spec. And a friend of mine told me if the setting is not properly set, either the amp or the speakers may get harm, is it true?

I know a whole system replacement is the best idea but my budget is so tight that I don't mind to keep using the Bose speakers although I know the pros and cons of them.

Any comments are highly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Any respectable amplifier will drive the Bose speakers. Most amplifiers do not have a ohm rating switch, however, having said that good amplifiers should be stable with loads down to 2 ohms or so.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure... nor have I tried or am a professional. The Bose lfiestyle speakers are based on the acoustimass modules. Which have a frequency response in the 200+ hz. When you attached these speakers to a regular receiver, hopefully your receiver has an adjustable frequency crossover for the sub. I believe most receivers are anywhere from 80-100hz (if there's no adjustable crossover), either you'll blow your boss speakers.. or you'll be missing alot of info. Anywhere from 80hz all the way up to 200+hz. The blowing of the boss speakers is what i've heard happen elsewhere..... so don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for your info. Sounds I was too worry about the healthness of the speakers and receivers.

So does anyone here currently using Bose speakers with 3rd party amp? I want to seek for personal experiences from u guys.

·
Registered
674 Posts
get him to sell the Bose setup and upgrade to a $360 Logitech Z-680.

·
Banned
178 Posts
hahahha... yeah that'll work.

bucket: I know for a fact for the frequency info. Just not sure about the blown bose speaker statement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.