AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have Wife approval and can get one of the above plasmas. Only question is which one to get? I will be using regular Directtv and a Cyberhome progressive-scan DVD player currently but will soon after be going to HDTivo and an upconverting DVD player.

I have been reading this forum for months now and I know that the blacks on the Panny are better but from what I've seen this new Sony is impressive as well. My real question is: Will I really not miss 3:2 pulldown and 720p output? Everything will be routed through a receiver and Gefen switcher eventually so sound and inputs are not an issue. I just don't understand how missing these componants isn't a big issue. I know the Sony is Alis which may result in a better picture but I'm almost certain that at my viewing distance (6 feet, small room) the difference is negligable.

I am currently leaning towards the Panny (the difference in price is compelling) but the Sony has all of the Panny's features and more. If you can alleviate my concerns I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If you don't need XBOX 720p games, 720p input is a non-issue. The Panasonic has superior black levels which you will most likely appreciate. If you use a progressive DVD Player, the player does the 3:2 pulldown so the display doesn't need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tooled around with the idea of getting an xbox but I don't think it'll ever happen. If that's really the bulk of the issue ( and from what I've seen the Xbox is the most used 720p example) then I feel that the panny is the way to go.

Anyone else? Otherwise I'm Purchasing a Panny!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the sony coming and I was facing same choice. I like the following things about the Sony:

Swivel Stand

The handling of SD stuff on the sony was very impressive to me.

I definately will like having the higher native resolution for xbox2 ( I'd wager most games will support 720p).

That said the Panasonic is a way better value at list prices. I'm getting very very significantly below retail so the price difference for me was pretty minimal. I'm sure you will be super happy with either.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You'll want 720p if your STB (OTA or cable) receives 720p signals (FOX and ABC?) and passes them natively to your set. The less conversion you have to do the better the PQ will be. I can't see myself getting a set that will not handle 720p.

The difference in blacks between the new Sony and the Panny is extremely small. I'd like to see a formal test because there is a chance the difference I'm "seeing" is there only because I expect it to be there. All you hear on this board is how panny just blows everyone away on blacks and the mind does funny things when it expects a certain result so my perception might even be wrong. Most "sony opinions" you'll hear on this board are based on their previous generations sets.

I haven't looked closely at the 37" models but the price difference in the 50" models isn't that much and the XS955 seems to be falling faster than the 7uy (which is hard to imagine but awesome news for us consumers!).

overtime

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The Panasonic has an internal ATSC OTA/cable tuner that supports 720p, so Fox and ABC can be received with that if needed. However external STBs conversion from 720p to 1080i has never been a problem and the quality is excellent since it gets rescaled to the plasma's native resolution anyway.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah...the difference probably isn't that great but its better to rescale once than twice...

I'm still waiting on definitive word on the 7uy consumer model and 720p and 3:2 support.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just made a similar post to a different thread, but I'll put my .02 in here as well.

Saw the 37" xs955 sitting next to the 42" Pany consumer HD in a BB. Exactly the same price. (Pany a better value?)

The Pany did have better blacks, no question, but the Sony had a more natural picture. Can't explain it---just more lifelike. I suspect it is a matter of taste.

I am also waiting for the 7th generation of Pany HD to come out before I make my final decision, but I am sure leaning to the Sony at this point in time.

yobob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.