AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the potential benefits of having this projector calibrated. Specifically, I'm interested in the adjustments of secondary colors. With very minor adjustments in the user menu, the settings read almost perfect with DVE. The greyscale is fairly good as well, but a little tweaking seems to improve it as well. The problem is, even though it seems to be se up correctly, the secondary colors, especially Cyan, are off. Yellow and Magenta are only slightly off, but the Cyan is almost a bright baby blue. It seems to have almost no green in it at all. I can correct it somewhat with the Tint control, but it negatively affects the primaries. I have also played around with the Gains/Offsets, but then the greyscale gets screwed up. Are there other adjustments accessible to the professional calibrator, that I am not aware of, that would help this situation? Is this just a case of a poorly engineered projector? I know it isn't just mine, as I had one before that I exchanged for a dead pixel, and it seemed to have the same problem. I also have read several online reviews, and no one has mentioned this. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
545 Posts
Robbyc30,

Did you see this projector prior to purchasing? If so, where? I live in Ellicott City and I am looking to compare this Z2000 to the Sony HS51. How do you like it, besides the color issue? Is it really that bad?

What size screen are you using? What mfr? Are you using a scaler? HD only sources?? I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Optoma H7x was found to have a similar issue with the 480i decoding - Cyan/Magenta are decoded as for a 9300K greyscale and are thus quite blue even if the greyscale is D65 calibrated. Have you tried other input rates - you may need an external scaler if the color decoding is not accessible.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

I bought it blind. Even if I had seen it, I don't think I would have noticed the Cyan in a limited viewing session. It isn't that bad unless you're watching Monsters Inc or something with a lot of Cyan. Sully just isn't the same on this projector! It also doesn't quite live up to it's contrast/brightness specs. If you'd like to see it, you're more than welcome to come by and check it out. PM me if you're interested. I'm using a DIY, light grey, 110" screen. I don't have a scaler and only view DVDs.

Kras,

I have used 480i and 480p with the same results. Do you think DVI would correct it? I need an excuse to buy an upscaling DVD player!

Rob

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
DVI is no longer video - as it is RGB it should solve the problem - unless of your course the DVD player you get does not now how to code Cyan properly! It would be worth a DVD purchase from a free return place to find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.