AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of my previous threads I mentioned that I have bought a new loft. Problem is, there is no way for me to run wiring without making it visible, so I do have to run it in my 12 foot ceiling, which will be hell, since I have no idea where studs are. I was wondering if I just ran one CAT5E network cable and used 4 pairs of cable it come with for my speakers and 12 volt power, would each pair be able to carry 80Wats or not?

I have solid CAT5E cable.

What do you guys think?

The "run" would be about 50'.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Cat5 is very light gauge for what you're doing. Something like 22Ga, if I recall. With runs that long I wouldn't want less then 14Ga, preferably 12Ga. (Well, okay, 16Ga multi-conductor in a pinch.)

Most of all I'd worry about impedance issues. Cat5 is twisted like a mother, and is going to look very inductive to the amp. Speaker amps are made to be tolerant of complex loads, but don't push it. The speaker already does.

If you're worried about cabling to the rears and projector, come in at the base of the counter (right where your cable heads up now), punch through the back of the cabinet into the wall, pull up behind the upper cabinet, and out above it. From where the cable enters the cabinet, it will be totally invisible.

From the cabinet to the amp, if you have carpet, stick a screwdriver under the baseboards. There is usually a big hole behind the carpet and under the baseboard that will take a cable or two.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a feeling I will just have to spend a bit more time and run some serious ammounts of cable. My loft has no carpets, the floor is pergo, so whatever is left by the wall, has to be untouched for expansion and shrinkage.

I was thinking something wireless, but I hear it sucks big time. Anything 2.4 Ghz will not work. I have high powered access point and wireless cards, I kill all 2.4 signal that is not my network (phones won't even find bases until I shut off my AP).

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The wires in cat5e are different lengths, due to how tightly wound they are. This helps in cutting down crosstalk.

As for using it instead of speaker wire, it is possible, much in the way it is possible to use BOSE speakers and one of those $10 projection system kits off of eBay. I certainly wouldn't do it in any install I perform.

·
Registered
174 Posts
lietuvis, first off, get some 5.8Ghz cordless phones! secondly, if you goto home depot or a lowes, you can pickup the 16 guage "flat" speaker wire, which you can run along your ceiling and no one will really notice it at all unless they really look closely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.