Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetPreacher
From what i've gathered, I don't think the local affiliates have a choice in the matter. They are only allowed to show the HD game if it is also the regular SD game shown in that market.

-Sp
We have a winner

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bhambrad
No, You would be incorrect.

My local station shows the HD game on the digital channel and a different game on the analog station. Two games so far have been like this.
Consider yourself lucky then because it is not supposed to happen that way.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I ask is, I work for a CBS affiliate and the following is in our contract:

"Please note, the primary game will be the only game available in HD. You may only televise the HD game on your digital channel if it is the game assigned to your station under the Standard Regionalization Procedures. If you are not assigned the primary game produced in HD, you will need to up-convert the game you are assigned for simultaneous broadcast on your analog and digital channels."

We wondered if this is being enforced, and if not, maybe we'll disregard it also.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
My local station shows the HD game on the digital channel and a different game on the analog station. Two games so far have been like this.
Same thing here, at least for the 1st game (2nd game was scheduled to appear on my local station so can't tell). 1st game I had the HD game on 11.1 and our local Houston Texan game on 11

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbodin
Same thing here, at least for the 1st game (2nd game was scheduled to appear on my local station so can't tell). 1st game I had the HD game on 11.1 and our local Houston Texan game on 11
Hou played at 12:00 CST

and the HD game was at 3:00 CST

Unless you mean 1st WEEK?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterFX1
The reason I ask is, I work for a CBS affiliate and the following is in our contract:

"Please note, the primary game will be the only game available in HD. You may only televise the HD game on your digital channel if it is the game assigned to your station under the Standard Regionalization Procedures. If you are not assigned the primary game produced in HD, you will need to up-convert the game you are assigned for simultaneous broadcast on your analog and digital channels."

We wondered if this is being enforced, and if not, maybe we'll disregard it also.
After posting on this forum, you won't be able to plead ignorance when CBS corporate comes screaming at you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
After posting on this forum, you won't be able to plead ignorance when CBS corporate comes screaming at you.

We would not want to violate our agreement, but if it turned out that we were in the minority... we might think about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So far here it's always been the same on both channels (analog/dtv) but there hasn't been a time when the local game (KC Chiefs) has been at the same time as the HD game. I guess I will see week 4 when the Chiefs play at 12pm, and the New England @ Washington HD game is the same time.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edison
So far here it's always been the same on both channels (analog/dtv) but there hasn't been a time when the local game (KC Chiefs) has been at the same time as the HD game. I guess I will see week 4 when the Chiefs play at 12pm, and the New England @ Washington HD game is the same time.
except for week 1 when it WAS the HD game

but same here

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
The best I can tell, only two of CBS's affiliates are not complying with the same game digital/analog rule. My guess is this will change.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is not quite the same. However, the CBS I work for aired the US Open in HD while our analog had the Jerry Lewis telethon going. We also did the same thing with a local college game the same weekend. Airing it live for DTV then having tape delay for analog later that evening. We've even used the DTV to feed an alternate preemption for the local cable co. So they had CBS while we aired some silly 1 hour paid program in primetime.. Tell the FCC says 100% simulcast we can do this.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mdamberger
This is not quite the same. However, the CBS I work for aired the US Open in HD while our analog had the Jerry Lewis telethon going. We also did the same thing with a local college game the same weekend. Airing it live for DTV then having tape delay for analog later that evening. We've even used the DTV to feed an alternate preemption for the local cable co. So they had CBS while we aired some silly 1 hour paid program in primetime.. Tell the FCC says 100% simulcast we can do this.
It is the NFL that obliged CBS to this arrangement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would have to guess that the NFL would not want any form of "multi-casting". The more games people get for free OTA, the less likely they are to fork over the $ for Sunday ticket, which I've heard is a big revenue source for both the NFL and D*

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:

Hou played at 12:00 CST

and the HD game was at 3:00 CST

Unless you mean 1st WEEK?
Yep, that's what I meant

Quote:
1st game I had the HD game on 11.1 and our local Houston Texan game on 11

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdamberger
This is not quite the same.
And that's the entire point. I don't know what the affiliate agreement says about other CBS programming, but I do know what the agreement says about NFL football.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.