AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the center overpower the left/right speakers?

For instance, to use a popular brand as an example, if you had Klipsch RB-41 II small bookshelves as L/R with a RC-64 II as center (which has many more drivers and is made to compliment the RF-7 II floorstander) could you simply adjust the receiver to compensate for any discrepancies in output, or would the center always dominate?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
It can, but that's not really a bad thing. 90% of your movie comes from that speaker. I've had systems where my left and rights were bigger than my center and it always sounded awful to me. So if mixing speakers is a must I personally would prefer a strong center. You can adjust your volumes for each speaker so they match levels, but you may be disappointed when a car drives by that goes from left to center to right as you'll pick up on the sound differences. Best is to match all 3 whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have the Rc-64, and just recently upgraded from the Rc-52. My FL/R are the one step down from the RF-7's, the 82's. The 52 was lacking big time.

I have noticed that 64 has trumped the 82's. Which to me is fine as the above mentioned benefit of center>LR, rather than center

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Also, before I had my 82's, I had the RB 51's as LR and the Rc-52 as center. It was a perfect match. But once I switched to the 82's the upgradeitis kicked in, hopefully the RF-7ii's go on sale soon! lol

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I would say that the center channel is the one speaker where having a slightly larger one compared to the front LR could be an advantage...
While the center does most of the work in terms of where the sound is mainly coming from most of the time, when the L/R do kick in at full volume they tend to be louder than the center. For that reason if anything the L/R should have at least the same capability as the center, if not a bit more. OTOH having giant L/R and a tiny center is a bad idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts