AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused about whether or not component output or input can handle truly high-definition video data (720p, 1080i or 1080p), in addition to DVI or HDMI connections.

Can anyone give a definitive answer? Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have HDTV and my component input/output handle 480p/576p ( this is for PAL 50hz) 720p/1080i just fine. Although I have not gone to 1080i as of yet, it does say on the inputs, so who knows!!

Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the typo. I corrected them.

Do you mean that component connection does not downconvert the HD signals to 480p from 720p or 1080i. Then, what is the point of DVI and HDMI except for avoiding D/A conversions?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Component video and RGBHV have handled HDTV and higher bandwidth computer graphics signals for years, long before digital interconnects were available.

The overwhelming number of HDTV's currently in use do not have DVI, HDMI or Firewire capability, and use component video, with more than adequate results.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptpli
Do you mean that component connection does not downconvert the HD signals to 480p from 720p or 1080i. Then, what is the point of DVI and HDMI except for avoiding D/A conversions?
yes, that's what we mean. component doesn't downconvert. it leaves the signal in hd. component performs analog transmission of signals; dvi performs digital transmission.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I must have confused about the discussion about some DVD players such as Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931. Samsung HD 931 upscales DVD only via DVI output, leaving component output at 480p. Bravo D1 can output 1080i via component, but with much less PQ.

Thanks for clarifying the things for me. At the same time, I am quite relieved to learn about that, because I recently bought a LCD HDTV/PC monitor with both component and VGA inputs but no DVI. Now I can buy a new DVD player to upscale my DVDs via either component or DVI->VGA adapter.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"Then, what is the point of DVI and HDMI except for avoiding D/A conversions? "

Hollywood is afraid we'll copy HD signals and put them on the Internet if unsecure analog outputs remain available.

Also you have slightly better PQ because there's no chance of interference from cable runs. If HD video connectors had been balanced like pro audio has been for decades, that wouldn't be an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.