AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions..... can a component to svideo hack be easily done?

links please

and is a component cable just an rca red, yellow, white cable(can a r,y,w cable be used as a temp substitute?)

thanks! I need component to svideo for my tv thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to add its only to pass 49-i never progressive. Just need something really cheap or do it yourself to connect to svideo tv.

thanks!

Would the infocus svideo-component cable work?

thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is your component video source? I am surprised it wouldn't already have an s-video output, or at a minimum, composite video output.

"Would the infocus svideo-component cable work?"

No. There is no conversion going on here, just a physical connection.

"and is a component cable just an rca red, yellow, white cable..."

It can be used for a component signal, but this type of cable is generally used for a composite A/V connection. (Yellow-video, red-right channel audio, white-left channel audio.) Again, it will work, but there are better cables designed for a component type signal, that allow for higher bandwidth. If you are talking about going from component to s-video, then I would assume bandwidth is not an issue.

Rich M.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually need if for a rca only tv. With an xbox advanced hd adapter. The reason I want is because I have DD receiver and hooked up the xbox to it. It sounded awesome even with the picture being black and hite(green cable trick)

Anyway I bought the HD pack instead of the advanced pack with digital out. I cant return it because I ripped apart the packaging(stupid plastic sealed enclosure they are freaking impossible to open without a knife or scissor)

Eventually in 3 months i will be getting an infocus x1 so then I will just use infocus's component to vga cable. But for the time being I wanted a cheap solution for component to svideo or composite rca.

My receiver had only passthrough capabilities and cant scale.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am not aware there is such a thing - component-to-svideo or composite adapter. Why not use the standard cable that came with the xbox until you get the X1? I just purchased the xbox and it come with the yellow-red-white cable output (composite). You will probably loose the more robust sound, but this is only temporary.

Here is an svideo version:

http://www.levelsix.com/products/xbox/svideo.shtml

This could be an interim solution until you get your X1. Also, when you get your X1, you will need to purchase the component-vga adapter. It does not come with one.

Rich M.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you read the following link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

you will find there is a native difference in the component vs. the S-Video signal. Because of this, it seems unlikely that a simple "hack" will provide the conversion you seek. Component feeds the individual color signals while S-Video does not.

It may be that there is some sort of converter box that will provide the conversion you are looking for, but I'm not aware of one.

You CAN use any type of RCA cables as a substitute until you purchase component cables. (I had a L/R/Video cable that I used until I bought a true component cable. Can't say there was a big difference either).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.