AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had good success using a CRT computer monitor with 1080I. The geometry is a bit messed up but I am generally able to adjust it reasonably.

Question: does anyone have experience using the 15" or 17" computer LCD monitors with 1080I (e.g., output from an RCA DTC-100)? These monitors are beginning to be available for a few hundred dollars.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It depends onthe monitor. I have seen some advertised as "HDTV" compatible whatever that means. These are usually a few hundred more.

My consideration in staying with a CRT are:

1) Response time. Watch a fast moving DVD on a laptop and you will see significant artifacts.

2) Contrast ratio. The contrast will be pretty low and the color brilliance as well. Again, looking at a DVD on a monitor and a laptop screen at the same time will show this effect. It may not be noticable to you.

3) Resolution, monitor 1600x1200 cheap LDC 800x600.

So although its a conventient solution you need to know that these will most likely be noticible if you can sync up. I would think if you bought a generic one a BB you could take it back if it didn't sync.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Bob, if you want to come by sometime, I will try to plug my 17" Dell into my DTC-100 and we can find out.

Mark

·
Registered
860 Posts
Response to Unknown's points:

1. Not a fair comparison. He was talking about 15 or 17" standalone LCD monitors, not cheap 10" laptop LCD's. Laptop LCD's have atrocious response times, over 100 ms. The new crop of current generation LCD monitors have response times below 40ms, some down to 20ms.

2. Contrast ratios are higher on good LCD's than that. Some are quite high indeed. Laptop LCD's suck.

3. Most 17" LCD's have native resolutions of 1280x1024.

Good 15" LCD's can be had for about $350 if you bargain shop. Good 17" maybe $600, again if you find a bargain. A good CRT will have a bit better PQ for HD, but the better LCD's will perform reasonably well.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Clearly you have only seen sucky lapttop displays. All laptop displays suck. Uh huh, yep all the same. Well, no there are many different technologies some of which suck.

Check Tom's hardware for the facts on the latest generation LCD''s and recomendations.

Again, I suggest side by side with and LCD and a CRT and trust your eyes.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Actually, I had considered the Tomshardware article among others in my response. One thing mentioned in that article is how vastly better LCD's have gotten with their response times.

There may be a few laptops that have decent displays, but I do not understand why you would compare LCD to CRT by suggesting that one should look at a laptop alongside a CRT. In general, laptop displays are just plain inferior to standalone LCDs. Even the better ones are only passable. Certainly none have response times that go down to 20ms or brightness levels comparable to, for example, the Solarism 17" standalone. It just isn't a design priority for laptop displays.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to those of you who have answered.

I am aware of the tradeoffs between CRT and LCD displays, my question did not concern those tradeoffs.

What I was interested in was the question of whether (which? how to tell other than trying?) LCD computer monitors would support 1080I in the manner that I have observed that CRT monitors do.

Further information on this point would be useful.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know of a few LCD's that do. The Samsung 171MP will support a full 1080i. It has a native resolution of 1280x1024.

I own the Samsung 170MP. It has the same resolution, but does not support HDTV.

The Zenith 15.1" ZLD also supports 1080i, but only has a resolution of 1024x768. Other Zenith models only support 480i/480p

I believe Sampo is coming out with an HD LCD as well, but don't know much about it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah david Sampo did come out with 2 models. One is a 15" that is 1024x768. The other is a 17" that is 1280x1024. Both models will accept any signal you want to give it, then scale to fit(sdtv,edtv,hdtv). I think on PC though they are limited to the native res or lower. I think the specs said a 25ms response rate. They even have a tv tuner built in. They are more expensive than a few hundred though. I think the retail is around 900 for the 15 and 11-1200 for the 17. We just installed a bunch on the ceiling of a dentist office that were hooked to sat receivers via s-video and they looked great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
(I realize this thread is two months old. I found it by searching)

I just bought the Sampo LME-17S1 from Costco.com ($800, not bad). But, I returned it. It claims HDTV support, and has component inputs. It doesn't support HDTV using those inputs, though. It doesn't even support 480p via the component inputs!!! It supports HDTV through the VGA connector. I don't know of any HDTV sources that have a VGA out, ther than the RCA DirecTV reciever.

So, I bought the Samsung LTM-1755 instead. It's awesome. 1080i, 720p, 480p through the component inputs. The downside is it was TWICE as expensive as the Sampo. It also has picture in picture, which is nice.

Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year, the Samsung 240T was the first that would take 1080I. At least two people I know have seen it hooked up to a computer output, and LOVED it.

Full 1920x1200 real pixels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kindhacker
BUMP

DavidKyle - when you say the 170MP doesnt support HD but the 171MP does...what do you mean? what does the 170MP do with the signal? worst case, does it scale it down or not show up at all?

i posted a similar question here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...75#post1288575
I have a 171MP and it has a "DTV" input that's got a 15-pin D connector and RCA stereo inputs. The unit also came with a cable that connects to that port and has three male RCA connectors for component video.

I don't have a 170MP, but i suspect it simply has no HD-capable input other than a computer RGB port.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.