AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a playstation 3 and now i would to purchase a plasma tv. i know that playstation have a hdmi 60hz output. the tv i would like to buy is poineer pdp-5070hd which has a 24hz hdmi input. i would like to know if the two are compatible. would i get a 1080p resolution which i play game with my playstation 3 on my pioneer 5070hd? please help, thank you

·
Registered
269 Posts
You'll need to consult the specification sheet on your video game machine to see if a 1080p/24 video timing output is supported. For this to work, both the source (game console) and the display would need to have the ability to support 1080p/24 video timing. HDMI requires that a source read the display's capabilities through EDID, and only output a video timing that is listed in the display's EDID. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that to say that my playstation 3 whcih has a hdmi at 60hz cannot play on my pioneer pdp-5070hd which support dhmi at 24hz. right? if the monitor could upscale to 75 hz will it work?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I believe your 2 devices should have no problem being able to interface and display a compatible image (such as 1080p/60 or other timing that is mutually supported). However, the only way to determine whether your PS3 will output a 1080p/24 video timing is to consult the user manual.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
First, the PDP-5070HD is a 768p display. That is, the display has only enough pixels to resolve to 768p. To my knowledge, Panasonic is the only manufacturer currently offering a true 1080p plasma display (their 65-in, $10,000.00 one). On the 5070 you will probably get the best picture from the PS3 using either 1080i or 720p output (you can try both). PS3 does not output 1080p 24Hz. PS3 can output 1080p 60 Hz, but I don't think the 5070 can accept that, since their brochure does not say so.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pioneer has a 1080p 50" plasma, the PRO-FHD1.

Even if you could output [email protected] from a PS3 you wouldn't want to do that for gaming. [email protected] is probably your best choice to drive the 5070HD. It has a high frame rate for gaming, and the vertical resolution is close to that of the TV, so the PS3 isn't wasting CPU/GPU resources generating fine detail that can't be resolved on the display.

The manual does not list [email protected] being supported over HDMI, but a CNET review claims it does. I don't know who's correct, but my money would be on the manual. I bet CNET didn't have a 1080p source to test with at the time the review was written.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.