AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my recent used Lexicon MC-1 acquisition, I need to decide on a pair of surround speakers.

To my knowledge, di-poles are preferred for side placement.

I currently have a pair of NHT SuperOnes and a borrowed pair of SuperZeros for surrounds. The rear speakers are stand-mounted up against the rear wall, while the sides are stand-mounted in free space.

The NHT di-poles have a rear-firing woofer which would not be as effective if free space.

I would consider changing to a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's and a pair of Paradigm Studio/ADP. The Paradigm di-poles fire left & right, not directly against a wall like the NHT di-poles.

Will a di-pole loss its effective if stand-mounted in free-space ?

- Andy

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Andy you need to ask the question directly to the manufacturer as a there are as many ways to voice a dipole as there are any other speaker. Some may be designed to take into account the gain you get from placing the speaker along a wall.

Generally the dipole surround concept does rely on the walls to further diffuse and distribute the surround field.

But the other big advantage of a dipole is the ability to place it close to the listening area without it beaming right onto the listener; great for tight spaces.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Paradigm ADP bipole rears can be mounted on a wall or on a stand. They must be at least 18" from the back wall.

One reviewer found that they worked best when stand mounted and at a 45 degree angle pointed to the centre of the back wall. I use this configuration. The dipoles create a sound field that causes the speakers to disapear and rear effects to move around as they should.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Andy,

Just a thought. For the same money as ADP's, you could have Studio 40's up front, and use the 20's in back! They are far more flexible in placement than the di-poles, and direct speakers for surrounds are a preference in many fine systems. After all, isn't

the ideal set up supposed to be 5 of the same speaker? Don't know of anyone using 5 di-poles...

All the best to you.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dipoles should be the similar to the other speakers. The Paradigm (and other dipoles) have the same tweeter and midrange as the front and center speakers. The Studio ADPs are like two 20's glued back to back.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stasis:

Just to clarify - I am only hunting for 4 rear surrounds. I am currently using a pair of SuperOne's and a pair of SuperZero's.

Right now I am leaning towards a pair of PSB Image 2B and a pair of PSB Image 10S to do rear & side duties.

- Andy

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
When looking at dipole or bipoles, the shape and walls do play a role. Take the ADPs from Paradigm. They are Adaptive Dipole (ADP) speakers with drivers that are angled at 180 degree of each other. Their build would benifit by a side wall and even a rear wall. Others like the PSB 10s you mentioned are bipoles that have a 45 degree angle between drivers. This would not need a side wall, but a rear wall would help add to the "surround" feel. The Diva R3s are also Adaptive dipoles but are at 45 degrees.

So your choice will depend on the room and the speaker build. I would go with dipole surrounds and direct rears if your room permits. This would give you the best of both worlds for music and movies. IMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.