AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you output from your videocard this resoution over DVI? I heard the closest you can get is 1360. I want to find this out before I purchase a plasma screen.

Thanks,

Bob C

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good question. Nvidia is supposed to have the best support when used with PowerStrip, but I've not yet seen a resolution which isn't a multiple of 8 supported. Also, Nvidia has two resolution charts - one for VGA and a much shorter list for DVI.

Which plasma is this for? ;-)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new 50" Fujitsu 5002. I was planning on getting a radeon card, but who knows at this point. If I ran the closest supported DVI resolution, 1360x768 or 1368x768, would the plasma set just have 3 vertical rows of black pixels on each side (1360).... or the desktop have 1 vertical row of pixels cropped on each side (1368)? Or would the plasma set use it's scaler (bad) to get the signal to 1366x768 thus filling the screen.

analog8, I did see your DVI posts in the 5002 thread in the plasma section; I figured I'd bring the DVI topic over to this forum.

Bob C

·
Registered
842 Posts
Most cap out at 1280x1024 since they only implement single-channel DVI. I think they would need to implement dual-channel DVI to handle higher rates. I have yet to find a graphics card that has dual-channel DVI - has anyone else?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I experimented with my Geforce2 card and Powerstrip today (using VGA not DVI).

My Geforce 2 will not run 1366. The closest I could get to 1366 x 768 is 1360 x 768. Maybe I am missing something obvious as there is a lot of options there. However, I am willing to bet if you can't get that resolution in VGA there is no way you will be able to get it in DVI, as DVI resolutions appear to be a subset.

This is a bummer as I really want to use DVI for one to one mapping on the Fujitsu 5002. Why did they pick such a funky size?

Re the dual DVI comment. I don't see why today's DVI can't handle 1366 x 768 in terms of total capacity. The new Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti cards put 1280x1024 out on DVI, and that is 1310720 pixels. 1366 x 768 is only 1049088 pixels so it should actually need less bandwidth right?

·
Registered
585 Posts
FWIW I have read that Nvidia plus Powerstrip is more flexible on resolutions than the ATI cards.

If someone with an ATI card could try this, it would be great.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Isin't the Fuijitsu PDS-5001W 50" plasmavision 1368 x 768 DVI imput? when I order my HTPC withDVI from AVS using a gforce3 they had a problem ajust this resolution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.