AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread title pretty much says it all. I want to put a thermostat controlled vent into the ceiling of my equipment closet, and I'm wondering if I can vent it into the attic and meet building code, or if I'm required to vent to the outside?

Thx,

Jonathan

p.s. any recommendations on vents?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,389 Posts
Not sure about your climate, but in cold climates it is not permitted. The hot and humid air with form ice in the attic. You can use any vent that you would use to vent a dryer/range hood to the outside. HVACquick.com has a bunch. As a rule however it is better to vent it somewhere else inside your house if you have someplace where hot air isn't a problem like a utility room. The reason is if you send the air outside replacement air must come in through drafts in the house. That air in the summer will be hotter and more humid than the inside air and your HVAC system will have to condition it.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I'm venting two locations (closet and a rack) to the HVAC return, using the Ceiling Vent System product from CoolComponents. Their (new product, would have used that instead!) inline duct fan looks like an even better solution:

http://www.coolcomponents.com/Rooms-Closets_c_9.html

And yes, don't vent it to the attic. As BIG said - bad in cold climates, bad in warm climates, too...

Jeff

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just vented mine through the stairwell coming into the basment. It was a short straight shot. Sorry, don't have any pictures of it carpeted, but it worked out very nice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Any fire in your equipment rack will instantly be in your attic. At least if you vent to other living space, you have the 30 minute rating of the drywall to hopefully save your house.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I did this in my old house. Make sure to use a one-way damper so that the air cannot back flow. Check out Active Thermal Management Cool Cube

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm in the exact situation as the OP. My media closet is upstairs and closely attached next to the attic. I had brought this up to vent in the attic till jautor pointed me to the cool component equipment. Still haven't done any work but keep us posted on what you decide to do. This will help me in my decision as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Always bear in mind your cabinet has a natural convection pattern. Warm air will always want to rise to the top. Knowing this, its best to either exhaust from the top of the cabinet space, or into the bottom of the space.

Because the warmer air will always find its way to the top, exhausting from the top is best. The equipment generating the warmer air will tend to move in cooler air from below on its own (assuming there is adequate ventilation).

To answer your question in particular, vent back into the room if at all possible. Otherwise, you'd be forcing replacement air to come into the room from the outside elsewhere. If the room were to be perfectly sealed from the outside, the exhaust fan wouldn't work.

Also, don't try to move too much air. We've gotten a little over-zealous in the past, using a larger exhaust fan than necessary, and caused dust to accumulate on the face of the equipment over time. The gear stays really cool but doesn't look so great!

Hope this makes sense

Lance Beasley
www.encoelectronics.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is an older thread, but was really helpful for me.

Doing the same attic thing- going to try to dump into an existing exhaust line (one from the bathroom), since I don't feel like poking holes in my roof/ceiling.

My concerns are that i could get some moisture in the AV closet. Don't know if that could be fixed with an inline draft blocker.

Since we are coming up on winter, I am still considering trying to run a vent to somewhere in the house to capture that heat.

Already paid for it after all :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Useful to me as well, thanks.

As for hooking up the AV exhaust to the existing bathroom vent, I thought of doing the same thing until I did some research and came up with a thread recommending against that. Google "Can I tie two bath exhaust fan vents together?" to find that.

I will follow the recommendation to vent to the house.

This is an older thread, but was really helpful for me.

Doing the same attic thing- going to try to dump into an existing exhaust line (one from the bathroom), since I don't feel like poking holes in my roof/ceiling.

My concerns are that i could get some moisture in the AV closet. Don't know if that could be fixed with an inline draft blocker.

Since we are coming up on winter, I am still considering trying to run a vent to somewhere in the house to capture that heat.

Already paid for it after all :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts