AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see I am brand new here and came here from Cnet which in my opinion is a good but not great tool for reviews. Until I came here I was all set with buying the LNT4665f for my brightly lit living room, but thankfully I see that isn't a good choice, LNT4661 would be better. But after reading 20 or so pages I see I may want to consider other LCD's.

My question is what panel should I buy? I think the $1500-$2000 is a good amount of cash and seeing the quirky problems of softwares and the like, I don't wanna return it unless it's DOA. What is the best TV in all of your opinions that I can buy for the most part not having to worry about uncrating at the stores for serial number breakdowns and the such? Am I asking too much in thinking there is such a beast?

I have read a few people stating the problems they read in the posts are hardly worth fussing about, but I do hold other peoples opinions true. This day and age, message boards are the only way to go for truth in the real everyday life so this is the concern for my questions.

Thanks ahead of time and again it's great to see people volunteering there time to make others aware of the issues that won't be seen in reviews!

·
Registered
96 Posts
there's xbr4 that's between 1500-2000? Tell me where! lol, cheapest I've seen is 2.4k at Amazon

I'm actually looking at the 65f right now, which is going for 1600 on amazon

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Even Samsung LN-T4671 is cheaper than Sony 46XBR4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in the same boat. I am shopping between the Samsung 4665 & Sony V3000. Can't decide on one. Some help please!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never said it was even close in price. But like I stated in my first question, the advice here is well taken and to spend a good chunk of money on a set that everyone here or there has issues with, I wanna be sure I do the right thing! The Costco one is also appealing but again there are some so so opinions on it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogballs /forum/post/12973525

Never said it was even close in price. But like I stated in my first question, the advice here is well taken and to spend a good chunk of money on a set that everyone here or there has issues with, I wanna be sure I do the right thing! The Costco one is also appealing but again there are some so so opinions on it.

I think if you listen to everybody in here, you will never buy a tv again. You need to check them out yourself and then do a little research to see what kind of problems they have. Then, decide whether you could live with the minor problems or not. Again, it's not like every set has a problem. Most people post here are the ones who have problems. I bet most people that don't have problems with their set are either enjoying their set or don't even bother to post.

So, if you think a set is appealing to your eyes and your wallet, get it. And if you're afraid it would develop problems, buy it from somewhere where you can exchange for another one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks taurus, that's exactly where i am at. I decided not to purchase for the Super Bowl. I am moving my Phillips 42 to a new wall mount from the bedroom and waiting. I think a lot of the feedback here is great but like you said it doesn't make me wanna purchase.Taking the info in is sometimes too much and steers you scared!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Checkout the Samsung LNT5265, I read all the posts about firmware, but that seems to be a problem of the past. If you look hard enough you can find one near your price range, and I am loving mine, best money I have ever spent!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The first question you need to answer for yourself is what avenue are you going to use to purchase you tv. Internet or local Store front.

Internet will almost always save you money but at the risk of having to deal with the headache of returning a defective set. Considering the quality control almost all makes and models are having, your best bet is to get the set that best serves your need locally.Bestbuy and Costco give the most liberal return policy, at least nationally. Almost all the sets that people will mention in your post will be good if you get one with no defects.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am a bargain hunter like mad but I think when it comes to buying something of this size and issues, local purchase is worth the extra money all day. The odds of me getting something to save a buck comes with Murphy's Law, so buying local is the way to be. I found a local non big name store(a family owned appliance store) willing to wheel and deal, they matched Amazon's price and said tax was unavoidable, I said understood. They are willing to throw in the HDMI cable as a kicker, big deal. I really like the fact that Costco has a great reputation with service and returns so I am more amped to lean that way.

I just feel that replacing a TV shouldn't be so difficult when it could be such a simple task. Who the heck wants a big dollar purchase to go bad, then they tell you they will send a technician out.

I really appreciate the input to my concern. It's not easy shelling out the cash when you read things here that are problems, read reviews and the sets are great, then think to yourself there are people who bought the sets and are loving them with no time or interest to post. I guess I am just a worried buyer as you can tell!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogballs /forum/post/12976842

I am a bargain hunter like mad but I think when it comes to buying something of this size and issues, local purchase is worth the extra money all day. The odds of me getting something to save a buck comes with Murphy's Law, so buying local is the way to be. I found a local non big name store(a family owned appliance store) willing to wheel and deal, they matched Amazon's price and said tax was unavoidable, I said understood. They are willing to throw in the HDMI cable as a kicker, big deal. I really like the fact that Costco has a great reputation with service and returns so I am more amped to lean that way.

I just feel that replacing a TV shouldn't be so difficult when it could be such a simple task. Who the heck wants a big dollar purchase to go bad, then they tell you they will send a technician out.

I really appreciate the input to my concern. It's not easy shelling out the cash when you read things here that are problems, read reviews and the sets are great, then think to yourself there are people who bought the sets and are loving them with no time or interest to post. I guess I am just a worried buyer as you can tell!

Don't forget Costco will throw in an additional two years of free warranty so you don't really need to buy an extended warranty for your new tv if you so choose to purchase it from Costco.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent point Taurus. I have returned digital cameras to them after a year and a half that died and they just replace with the current model, and if needed refund moneys if there is a difference. I have seen some talks about there 52/135 Sony. The people that bought them haven't updated any remarks on the likes or dislikes.

Is it a good idea to consider Uverse for the HD? I currently have Charter and couldn't care if they had theeee best service anywhere in the world, the company is just awful at customer service. I am gonna use the Charter for the Bowl but after that I am out.

I am headed to Costco after work, hopefully they will have more than on their website!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the advice of all and went and looked first hand in the stores. I have to point out that the feed they have on the sets at EVERY store I went to stunk. I left the stores less impressed than I thought I would be and have a tighter pocket now. I do own a 42PF7421D Phillips and it's OK. Am I crazy for thinking I will out perform it with watching broadcast at this point? I do have a simple cable company with 12 "HD" channels, but they show a lot of pixels at times. I just want a nice, big TV and wanna keep it for a while! Why is this so hard?

·
Registered
34 Posts
For 1500-2000 I am personally torn btw the sony 46V3000 and the Toshiba Thin Bezel. The Samsung has a great picture, I just dont like the frame/bezel that surrounds the panel. I've been reading this board and consumer reports...and i just have to believe that whatever set you eventually purchase, once its in your house - you'll love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts