AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade to Front Projection, my accountant says i can have $2000. This will be for the projector only, can this be done?

Some info:

Total ambient light control in room

Unit needs to be mounted within 9' or 12+' feet from screen wall due to HVAC

Seating about 10' from screen wall

Do not need HDTV or Progressive scan

Would like Component inputs

Would like possibility of adding scaler/doubler later

I think those are the big questions, if you need more info let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
An LT100 sold on eBay last week for about $1800.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
547 Posts
lots of lcd projector can be had for under $2000. of course this may not be the best for your ideal ht but you can get a fp for under $2000. check out projectorcentral.com

seng

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
NEC LT100, Plus UP1100, NEC LT84, Plus U2870, NEC LT81, Plus UP800 all sell for under $2K used.

Sharp PGm10s for under $2K new. And all are good projectors.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree with the suggestions above. Some nice used projectors can be had for under $2000. Not only the LCD and DLP suggested here, but also some good CRT projectors can be had for under 2k. My setup included a LCD projector and a HTPC that cost me less than $1000 for both including cables. It's not state of the art by any means, but I get a pretty fair, big picture for the money.

Neil

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The Infocus LP340 can sometimes be had for just a bit more than $2K and is falling. It is a real winner, offering an excellent video scaler, plus HDTV support. Does not support component input or 480p input. (The 340, not the 340B BTW.) This is the best bargain in FP.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
If you can find the Sony VPL-W400Q (not easy to find) its a great LCD with NO screendoor effect because the pixels are arranged in a delta-pattern Vs stripe configuration unlike the other LCDs. Again, is not easy to find but a real secret treasure among LCD projectors. Also, is has 16:9 native panels so you get full resolution for anamorphic DVDs and is HDTV compatible of course.

Regards

·
Registered
260 Posts
Regarding the Sony 400Q and other "older" projectors - I have seen several posts from owners who can't find replacement bulbs for their 400Qs. It seems that (so far) almost every projector has a unique bulb design, and there are no other suppliers than the mfg. This makes me very nervous about buying a discontinued FP. Does any company continue to use the same bulb assemblies in new FPs or usually maintain supplies for 7-10 years?

If used FPs are only a good deal until the bulb dies, it's a waste of money. Of course, this doesn't bode well for the lifetime of even new systems. The manufacturers are too used to the business projector market, where FPs are only used for 2-3 years. Sony SHOULD be supporting the 400Q for longer, as it was a "home theater" unit, but that doesn't seem to be happening... Any info on this?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Well, according to Dan (forgot the last name) from Sony, they are indeed supporting the 400 for at least 7 years after been discontinued. Medical Video System is a great place to find the replacement lamp. I already have one extra lamp so I am covered for a long time and also have a 3 year warrante on the projector. Best buy ever made....

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm the one who bought the LT100 on ebay for $1820 yesterday. I had to bid against Steve Dodds though http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif . I hate bidding against other AVS Forum members! Like many other members of the forum, I been successfully rooting around in the $1000-$2000 projector market on ebay, with much success. You can definitely get an effective front projector in that price range. It just takes some perseverance, and you might have to buy and sell several until you find one that's right for you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

I've found that it helps to have a HTPC, since they can sometimes turn a cheap business projector into a viable home theater projector.

Dave

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've spent a couple of weekends playing with an Infocus 425z & a $700 homebuilt almost-HTPC - quite impressive for the money. The 425z is $2000 new.

My reference point is a 7" CRT FP - I like the Infocus better. My screen is a 4x3 84" Stewart Studio 130.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Dave, You were also bidding against me, but I've already got two projectors and wasn't going to be die hard over it.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
557 Posts
Steve-

No problem. I happy with the price I got, although cheaper is always better!

By the way, I don't think I've ever read your impression of your Thumper modified UP1100. What do you think?

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.