AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to automate the selection of an item that only exists in the menu of a taskbar tray icon's menu.

Can anything bring up the menu and select the item?

For instance, based on a keystroke, or based on some message I can send over a network (even a simple "existence of an empty file" would work find).

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Mark,

If I understand what you're asking, Girder should be able to do it no problem. Go to the Command tab and use the Capture:
  1. Press the Capture button
  2. Press Start Capture
  3. Bring up the context menu and click the command you're interested in
  4. Press the End Capture button
  5. There will be a bunch of windows message listed in the capture dialog. You want the one that has a message type of 'Command'. It might be listed twice; just select one and then hit OK.
  6. Press the 'Apply' button to save the girder command.
  7. Press the 'Target' button to make sure the window target looks correct. Usually EXE name and Window Title are enough.
  8. Finally, test the command to see if it works. If it doesn't try tweaking the target window paramters.[/list=1]

·
Registered
600 Posts
To add to Jeff's already excellent explanation, you'll need to check off the "send to invisible tasks" checkbox in the Girder targeting window. This will ensure that Girder can find the app if it's (hidden) in traybar mode.

Good luck -- Steve

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys! I will try that out tonight.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried this until I was blue.

As far as I can tell, Girder can't do it.

I want to start NetMeeting's "Remote Desktop Sharing" from my remote. That way I can work on the HTPC without turning on my projector.

However, the *only* way to enter "Remote Desktop Sharing" mode is through the taskbar icon.

When I do a "Capture" and right-click on the tray icon and select "Activate Remote Desktop Sharing", I don't get any COMMAND options. By the way, this does seem to work for some other tray icons, but not this one.

Is there a way to have Girder emulate a human, and actually right-click on the icon and select the menu item?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mark,

If all else fails, just have Girder start an AutoIt script to control mouse X-Y placements and clicks. I do this very thing to start my ATI vs. WinDVD players through DVDGenie. Or at least until the elusive TT player comes ;).

You can find it here . I'm sure Girder can place the mouse position too and certainly does the mouse actions, but I am used to using AutoIt for this. Besides, it comes with a nifty monitor program which tells you the exact X & Y mouse positions to enter (relative to the window in focus). Good luck.

Carey

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mark:

It would have to work if you could send the WM_LBUTTONDOWN, etc mouse messages to the app. Can't you do that with Girder? If not, why not bypass Girder, and write a little applet to do it yourself? You could use spyxx.exe to see what messages get sent...

Actually, doesn't NetMeeting allow you to leave remote desktop sharing on all the time? I assume you know that...

FWIW, if you get too sick of this, I recommend VNC. I'm doing the same thing you want to do, with that - controlling my HTPC w/o turning on the projector. It works flawlessly. I just leave the VNC server service running on my HTPC all the time, with no ill effects. I looked into NetMeeting, but the security in it was too much of a hassle.

Don't know if any of this helps, but I'm trying!

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Carey and Dave,

Good suggestions, but the issue is a little deeper.

The TT player won't work if NetMeeting is left running in "Active Remote Desktop Sharing" Mode. It took me a while to figure that one out!

TT will simply not play a DVD and displays a spurious message about the DVD being protected by MacroVision. It isn't, of course. Stopping the "Remote Desktop Sharing" allows TT to play the DVD just fine.

So...leaving Remote Desktop Sharing active full-time isn't an option.

As far as the mouse coordinates go, that won't work, either, since the tray icons can put themselves in different positions on start-up. It's a FIFP ("First In, First Placed") system that doesn't guarantee placement positions. I haven't heard of any utility that allows you to dictate arrangement of the tray icons, either.

Anyway, I built a lame DIY system that does the job OK, but doesn't go through the tray icon.

It does a KILL on NetMeeting, removing the process no matter what state it was in. Then it runs the NM user interface (not the tray icon) and sends keys to turn on remote desktop sharing and minimize it back to the tray. I then made Girder just launch my application. Pretty lame, but it works.

Thanks for your help. I could not get Girder to do it alone for the life of me.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mark:

Yikes! I see what you mean. This problem is an insidious one. I've got other ideas, but nothing less ugly than what you ended up doing.

I assume you asked Chivs about this? I'd be interested to know his response. Does he plan on fixing this?

If the same problem happens with VNC, my copy of TT is going back. I'd rather stick with WinDVD, than give up remote control. I suppose I could create an applet that would kill vnc when TT starts, and restore VNC when tt terminates, though...

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I did inform Andrew ("chivs") of this.

It was too late to get anything into version 1.0, and I just like it too much to wait for the next release...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.