AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I just bought a Fender Passport 150 Pro PA system. When I connect my iPod to it, the volume can get loud (as you would expect). However, when I connect my electric guitar to it, the volume is not as high.

I was told that I might need a pre-amp. What I am wondering is if a guitar pedal would suffice. I have been looking at Zoom G2 guitar pedal.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Vrushali

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The guitars has only pickups (microphones) and as such will have a substantially lower signal than an IPod.

Pedals can be of several types some with just a volume control and some with preamps and effects.

Does the pedal you have use a 9volt battery? If so it MAY have a preamp but more than likely it is an effect of some sort.

The IPod can easily overload the input to the amp and should only be connected between a LINE level out and a LINE in (if available) on the amp.

Besides I am assuming the amp is MONO and the output of the IPod is stereo, so unless you are only connecting one channel of the IPod, you are shorting out one channel which can damage the IPod.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help.

The one I am looking at is Zoom G2 Pedal. It can be run with either 4 AA batteries or an AC adapter. The specs do not mention anything about how much output it can produce.

The PA has 4 channels. Two can take mono input and the other two can take stereo input.

Regards,

Vrushali

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
You are DEFINITELY overdriving the pedal input using the IPod as a source.

I would suggest using a pad to drop the signal from the IPod, These should be available from you pedal dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts