AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm considering buying the Hauppauge 950Q external tuner stick.

( http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr950q.html )

My primary purpose for it would be to receive clear QAM channels, and I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

This is what Hauppauge states in their FAQ section:
Quote:
Note: WinTV v7, WinTV v6, Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows TV Pack 2008 are required for clear QAM reception

Since the word "or" is used in there, does that mean I could receive QAM channels with XP as long as I was using their WinTV v7 software?

I called their tech support line and they told me the answer was yes, but I wasn't entirely convinced.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the reply. WinTV v7 appears to be XP compatible, but I'll have to do further research.

I'd also be interested to know if there are any other USB tuners out there that do QAM with XP.

And if anyone is currently successfully using the 950Q for QAM with XP, please chime in!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dual Tuner HDHomerun works with Xp MCE.

It is pricey but I have it and a 950q, it works better than the 950q for me, seems snappier and as it is networked I can use it on multiple tv's.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd /forum/post/18315689

Great, thanks for the reply. WinTV v7 appears to be XP compatible, but I'll have to do further research.

I'd also be interested to know if there are any other USB tuners out there that do QAM with XP.

And if anyone is currently successfully using the 950Q for QAM with XP, please chime in!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't need media center to get the 950Q (or any tuner for that matter) to do QAM, right?

I do have the media center edition, but I never use it -- don't really have any use for it. I just want to watch TV occasionally on the PC, presumably with this WinTV application that comes with the card. I don't need to do recording or anything else. With my current analog card, I'm just using dscaler.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd /forum/post/18319041

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't need media center to get the 950Q (or any tuner for that matter) to do QAM, right?

I do have the media center edition, but I never use it -- don't really have any use for it. I just want to watch TV occasionally on the PC, presumably with this WinTV application that comes with the card. I don't need to do recording or anything else. With my current analog card, I'm just using dscaler.

if you use media center you have to use windows 7 is you want qam. the previous versions don't do qam, unless you use the buggy vista tvpack upgrade.

the wintv app should do qam just fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so just to be clear:

Using XP with the 950Q and WinTV 7 app means I should get QAM fine,

but using XP's media center interface with the 950Q means no QAM?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd /forum/post/18320718

OK, so just to be clear:

Using XP with the 950Q and WinTV 7 app means I should get QAM fine,

but using XP's media center interface with the 950Q means no QAM?

yes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I went ahead and got the 950Q.

It works, but there are a lot of kinks, mostly due to the software. It keeps hanging and crashing. And for some reason, it really has trouble with Comedy Central.

Does anyone know what causes the line across at the top of this picture?

My old tuner card (an 8-10 year old internal Hauppauge) does not display these, but the 950Q shows these lines on maybe 40% of the channels, both digital and analog.

Also, is there any other software out there besides WinTV that will tune QAM using XP?

I've been using DScaler very happily for many years with my current card. But using it with the 950Q for analog cable, it seems to crash every time I close it. And of course, it doesn't do QAM.

Thanks.

-Todd

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Read the WinTV user's manual to find out how to turn off the content at the top and bottom of the screen. You may just have to move your mouse to the center of the screen or perforn a mouse click on the center of the screen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The manual doesn't cover that sort of thing. (It's online at http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/wintv_v7.pdf .)

It's not really a WinTV problem though, it's the tuner itself, because the same problem happens if I use DScaler with the 950Q.

Maybe that top line is part of the signal (overscan region?) but my old card masks it out? I also get a little bit of audio crackle on some channels. It could be that the external nature of the 950Q makes it an inferior product to an actual internal card connected internally.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i have that two on my tv, i think its part of the tv signal, i just moved the screen off the top edge a little so i dont see it..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem, actually, with the bar at the top. Its just on some channels and sometimes it will go away on its own. I guess it doesn't bother me that much so I have always just ignored it. Hup 2250 tuner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, thanks for the feedback. I hadn't seen that line using my old tuner, so I wondered if that was a common technical problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I have one more question.

It seems that the main difference between the 950Q and the 1950 is that it "Includes high performance hardware MPEG-2 encoder," as stated on the Hauppauge website.

Would the presence of this encoder help me in tuning QAM channels, or is it inly advantageous if you want to record programs? I have no interest in the latter.

I'm a little uneducated in this respect, in that I don't know what a hardware encoder is for.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts