AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a Sony HD-100 STB.

In the Dallas area (where I am located), my understanding is that most of the digital OTA channels are broadcast on UHF, but that at least one (ABC, I think) is broadcast on a VHF channel. (Please let me know if this understanding is incorrect.)

If I use two separate antennas (one optimized for VHF and one for UHF) to make sure that I get the best possible reception for all the channels, will the HD-100 be able to handle both antennas?

To other Dallas residents, what has your experience been with this UHF/VHF issue? Has anyone else needed to use two antennas or has one been sufficient?

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
The Sony can handle 1 digital 8VSB input (antenna or cable HD), 1 NTSC antenna input (cable or antenna) and 1 satellite (HD). You can't get 2 8VSB digital signals in at the same time. You need an A/B switch for that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Get the RCA. It has two antenna inputs. I've had both and the RCA is equal to if not better than the Sony on all accounts. Save yourself $300 and get the RCA. I'm keeping the RCA for a couple of generations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Feel free to stop our local Dallas-area Home Theater forum (link below). There are lots of discussions about which antennas work well in our area

------------------

Gary Blatt

Dallas Home Theater Group
http://dhtg.org/forum

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another possibility is a "Join-tenna" from Channel Master. It will allow you to isolate certain channels and join two 8VSB antenna signals into one. I've ordered one for an 8VSB signal that I am getting over my cable lines to combine with my OTA antenna. I haven't received it yet, but I'll post my results when I do. Check out the Channel Master website if you are interested and look for the Join-Tenna.

-Brett

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lhl12:

If I use two separate antennas (one optimized for VHF and one for UHF) to make sure that I get the best possible reception for all the channels, will the HD-100 be able to handle both antennas?
Another way around this problem is to use a UHF/VHF combiner. I use the Radio Shack 15-1236 ($19.99).

[This message has been edited by D B (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
540 Posts
I actually have two antennas and an a/b switch... does anyone make an a/b switch that operates via remote? That way, I could spend my entire life on my couch without getting up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Radio shack sells a remote A/B switch. I have had one for years and it works great. I paid $40.00 but I just saw it on sale for $20.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.