Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought.

It's no secret that the PC marketplace has been somewhat driven by all the coolest PC games out there. From new graphic cards, faster speeds, etc...Most of us hardcore gamers have to upgrade our systems every 6 months to a year to keep things going smoothly.

Can the same be done to the HDTV market w/ the advent of HD capable game consoles?

I would argue yes.

Everyone bitches how there's not enough content for TV stations to move to HD. It's the whole which came first argument...the chicken or the egg. Without content, stations don't want to switch to digital and HD. Of course, w/o stations, content providers don't have an incentive to make more HD shows.

This is where the HD capable console comes in. I'm not gonna rehash the whole XBox and PS/2 argument here, so let's not even start that in this thread. For arguments sake, I'll use the XBox as an example.

Is it possible that once folks and kids see the amazing games in high definition, that it might drive more folks to gobble up more digital tv's? With more TV's, will come more content and then, the TV stations will have their incentive to go digital everywhere.

I'm certainly willing to buy an XBox system, with an HD game.

The Grand Tourism series have probably sold more PS and PS/2's than any other game. Heck...it certainly made me buy my first PS and PS/2. The GT series is the Killer App for the PS/2. Halo has been XBox's killer app..but imagine the potential sales if Halo was in HD?

Now, taking this on a grander scale, Best Buy and CC could easily show case some of their HD-capable sets with HD demo's of XBox and PS/2 games. I'd bet that'll sell even more digital sets than anything else.

So, in addition to pressuring content providers to make more HD programming, maybe we should also focus our lobbying efforts on the concole game industry to produce more HD games.

More games will sell more consoles AND digital TV's, thereby increasing the number of hd capable sets

Just some thoughts...

Dizzy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Could someone help me understand how a game will look in 1080i or 720p compared to 480p (I don't doubt it, just wanted to know how it works)? I don't play computer games so I haven't seen what higher resolutions do for a picture. Will it only help reduce jaggies on the edge of objects? I've noticed higher resolution developer shoots of XBox games often show a lot more detail. Does this mean that this detail is being created by the game but is lost in the display? I understand when converting from film to a digital signal some detail from the film is lost. What I don't understand is how this process compares to what a game does when it tries to display something on a display.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Now, taking this on a grander scale, Best Buy and CC could easily show case some of their HD-capable sets with HD demo's of XBox and PS/2 games. I'd bet that'll sell even more digital sets than anything else.

I think this would help, mostly because I think that displaying any HD content at BB or CC would help. Those demos they display don't seem to do HD justice, if they're even showing the HD demos at all instead of NTSC. They don't show how a consumer can get HD at home in any manner, and what programming would be available if they could. My big hope for D-VHS is that they'll use it to demo HD sets in stores. I think showing D-VHS, future 1080i videogames, or just by turning on HDnet, these stores would see sales surge.

·
Registered
771 Posts
"Could someone help me understand how a game will look in 1080i or 720p compared to 480p"

It would depend on the game, but generally the games would be sharper and have more detail. Basically the same difference between a television program made for 1080i would look better than a television program made for 480p.

As for HD games selling HDTV's, it's already happening - many gamers are buying HDTV's so they can play their XBox and Gamecube games in progressive scan 480p. Halo, however, would absolutely suck at 720p or 1080i, because it already has to be limited to 30 frames per second just to look good at 480p, to go any higher would drop the framerate to like 15 frames per second, which would really, really suck. That or they'd have to drop detail/effects from the game, which would suck just as much. Maybe the next generation's systems will be able to handle HDTV resolutions, but this round just isn't powerful enough to make it worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
I do not think HD games alone would push HDTV into the mainstream. HDTV needs a combination of media to push it ahead as is happening now. More HD programming is on the horizon, HD hardware costs are coming down and more and more digital channels are coming online. These few items along with HD gaming availability with push HDTV into the mainstream.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Games won't push HD any more then they push regular NTSC sets; it's HD contentthat will do it more then anything else.

Most people that want hi-res games own a gaming PC.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My thoughts are that $2,000+ HD sets would be more apt to move $200-$300 HD-capable game consoles as opposed to to $200-$300 HD-capable game consoles moving a whole lot lf $2,000 TV sets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.