AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I don't have HDTV yet -- can I purchase an HD recorder and record regular cable with very little loss in quality? Then archive my recording on a Digital 8 tape in SP MODE?

If I use the highest possible recording speed on a HD PVR can I get almost 100% quality of the cable source recording? THEN transfer that recording without losing much quality to a D8 tape (for archiving)?

Any help would be great thanks!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nikos,

You should have no problem outputting any HD source to D8, although you wouldn't really have to store it to D8 for archiving unless you don't have any other viable method. If you have a DVD recorder you could use that for archiving. But D8 would work just fine.

As with any HD sourced material, you'll have a much better quality in the end although you go through a down conversion (downrez) of the material. Most of the HD recorders capture SD material which is what most digital cable companies broadcast. You'd be able to capture this at full resolution as broadcast from the cable co.

Most of the recorders out or forthcoming have archival capabilities. The HDR230s HDD can be upgraded to a larger drive so you can save more programming. The LST3410A may also have that capability, but we have to wait to find out on that one. The JVC 30K/40K uses HD tapes for unlimited archiving, and there's an interface that allows you to transfer the JVC recordings to a PC (search for DHVS TOOL).

Hope this helps.

Troy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets say the HD source is widescreen however -- does this mean the D8 records it into widescreen dimensions?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.