5,344 Posts
What IR Receiver ?????

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/14342270

What IR Receiver ?????

The HDHR does have an IR receiver, but I have never read a post from anyone that uses it.

Quote:
Specifications:

8-VSB (ATSC over-the-air digital TV)

QAM64/256 (unencrypted digital cable TV)

IR Receiver (signal PC with a standard remote control)

100baseTX high speed network

1 year warranty
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun

-Dave

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Why would you need to use it's IR receiver?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
When I looked into it (ages ago) there was no Windows software that worked with the commands that were sent from the HDHomeRun. WinLirc did not support them. I haven't looked into it in a while though. If I get a chance in the near future, I might. It will be a good project for me since I haven't really done any development for the HDHR since my QAM Mapper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14344493

When I looked into it (ages ago) there was no Windows software that worked with the commands that were sent from the HDHomeRun. WinLirc did not support them. I haven't looked into it in a while though. If I get a chance in the near future, I might. It will be a good project for me since I haven't really done any development for the HDHR since my QAM Mapper.

Thanks VLADD. I did some research on WinLirc and HDhomerun and discovered that WinLirc currently does not support network devices, such as the HDhomerun. Can this be worked around?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
It's possible. When I looked at it before, I did not have quite the coding knowledge that I have now. So it MIGHT be something I can implement. No promises though.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Well I was able to get a listener working in C#. I'm capturing the raw bytes sent by the HDHomeRun. Of course, decoding those bytes is the issue. As a quick test, WinLirc would not run for me because it could not initialize the com port. I'll see what I can do about that but it will be a while before I get a chance to look into it in depth.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I wonder how many people would actually use the IR receiver. My guess is that most people have their HDHR boxes out of sight and close to a switch. Of course, if it works well and a profile was available for the Harmony remotes, I might reposition my HDHR and give it a try.

-Dave

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/14348230

I wonder how many people would actually use the IR receiver. My guess is that most people have their HDHR boxes out of sight and close to a switch. Of course, if it works well and a profile was available for the Harmony remotes, I might reposition my HDHR and give it a try.

-Dave

When has that ever stopped us from tinkering?
I never dreamed the QAM mapper would have the popularity that it did.

As for the harmony remote, I'll be using the MCE remote for the majority of tests so a harmony with the proper profile should work just fine.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/14348230

-Dave

Actually, if you use it for QAM, there's a pretty good chance that it'll be somewhat close to a TV because that's usually where the cable jacks are. I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer running a longish cat5e cable as opposed to a longish coax cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read that someone was trying to get ir receiver commands to work on VMC with a winlirc and a virtual serial port

silicondust forum topic 6091 title "HDHR IR Receiver + WinLIRC + Virtual Serial Port"

It would be nice to save the $20-$30 (or the time to build one) and not have to buy another IR Receiver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts