AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer VSX-32 AVR that can play lossless WAV files directly from an external drive connected to its USB input port. It has a basic GUI that displays the music files and album art on my TV. I would like to take advantage of this built-in feature. External drives are cheap and I can put all my music onto a 320 GB drive even with uncompressed WAV files.

I don't want to have to pull the drive out of my AV rack every time I want to add music. Is there a NAS drive that can connect to my AVR via USB and still allow me to access it over the network so I can update the files from my PC? Or do I need to abandon this approach and get something like a WD TV Live Hub and use the HDMI output?

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
So I assume the Pioneer can't access drive through LAN as it can through USB? AVR is not DLNA compliant?

I don't think you are going to find anything that will go dual channel, both LAN and USB. USB is really intended for local connect, one-at-a-time and adhoc. Plus you may want to read the AVR manual for limitations. Some USB inputs are limited to what it can do and devices it can accept/power requirement.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, the 2010 Pioneer AVRs are not DLNA compliant. Some of the 2011 models are.

The manual doesn't say much about the type of USB drives that are compatible other than mentioning if a drive doesn't work, it may need a dedicated AC adapter.

I guess my choices are:

- USB thumb drive (about 50 CDs on 32GB using WAV)

- USB Drive (All my music on 320GB drive using WAV)

- iPod (About 200 CDs on a 64GB iPod using ALAC)

- WD TV Live Hub (Everything on it 1TB internal drive and I will be able to add songs over the network)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.