AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv had my media center working for years and had the hdmi going to the tv and the audio went to the receiver vis optical.I recently decided to upgrade to a full hdmi receiver .I had trouble from the start getting audio out the hdmi but eventually got it working . I have a asus m4a7bl-m motherboard .The tv tuners are working fine and I get surround along with most movies. The only thing wrong is if I play a x264 file it only comes out as stereo. I was thinking codec but the same thing happens with vlc which I thought didn't need codecs. When I check settings in control panel-sound-hdmi I only see 2 channel but the receiver is showing dolby on tv shows. Im just not sure whats going on. Should I just go back to optical out? Im sure im missing something but I just don't know that much about this stuff. Please help.
Rod

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
When I check settings in control panel-sound-hdmi I only see 2 channel

This seems wrong. May need driver update.

but the receiver is showing dolby on tv shows

Dumb Q, are u sure the receiver is telling you this and not the TV?

You are watching TV through the HTPC tuner and not from the TV's built-in tuner correct?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have made some very stupid mistakes. On the rotel 1098 it was showing nero 6 and I thought that was surround and it sounded really good. I think at some point I made a change to the volume control on the htpc and that set the output signal to modulated stereo. When I hooked up the Marantz it shows dolby and with a dvd I can do dolby or dts so it looks like everything is working fine with the exception to some movies that are likely just 2 channel in the first place.
Rod

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I'm honestly confused at just trying to quickly search the answer for you, hopefully someone with AMD knowledge can help more

Your board appears to be socket AM2+/AM3 but at the time AMD didn't yet have a consistent PCH-type setup yet (neither did Intel I think) and North/South bridge configurations were still a mess

I assume you are using integrated graphics. My above sentence is just me saying I can't see whether or not HD audio passthrough is supported with your board.

The board has HD audio decoding abilities with the onboard audio (non-HDMI) chipset, but honestly you don't want to use that with a new AVR. Onboard (realtek) can output 24/192, so the LPCM would be decoded HD audio (full) and no quality would be lost but it's so un-cool not to see your new receiver's HD audio lights show up ;)

If yours can passthrough HD audio over HDMI then you aren't seeing it because of either drivers or software. Most likely software. Which player are you using? VLC doesn't do HD audio, and it's a poor player to begin with. MPC-HC is a good test player. Not sure which front-end you're going with, I'd recommend Kodi personally

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm honestly confused at just trying to quickly search the answer for you, hopefully someone with AMD knowledge can help more

Your board appears to be socket AM2+/AM3 but at the time AMD didn't yet have a consistent PCH-type setup yet (neither did Intel I think) and North/South bridge configurations were still a mess

I assume you are using integrated graphics. My above sentence is just me saying I can't see whether or not HD audio passthrough is supported with your board.

The board has HD audio decoding abilities with the onboard audio (non-HDMI) chipset, but honestly you don't want to use that with a new AVR. Onboard (realtek) can output 24/192, so the LPCM would be decoded HD audio (full) and no quality would be lost but it's so un-cool not to see your new receiver's HD audio lights show up ;)

If yours can passthrough HD audio over HDMI then you aren't seeing it because of either drivers or software. Most likely software. Which player are you using? VLC doesn't do HD audio, and it's a poor player to begin with. MPC-HC is a good test player. Not sure which front-end you're going with, I'd recommend Kodi personally
Thanks dark for looking into this and taking the time. Im really confused with this avr unpgrade. I use media center with two hd home runs and even though the sound in control panal is showing just stereo the Marantz shows dolby surround or dolby digital. Would the Marantz show dolby if it wans not being sent? When I switched from optical to hdmi I found I needed to use the amd software and not realtek. Im thinking of going back to the optical out to see if it sounds different. Do you think its time to update my media center and if so could you recommend a board that would do everything im wanting? I was thinking about updating and keeping this one as a spare. When I was trying to update drivers I got a system crash with blue screen for the first time and needed to do a repair. I realized then how much I depend on this for entertainment since my tv is old enough to not have a tuner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts