AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all

the hdmi port on my scientific atlanta 8300HD is going, so it looks like I'm going to have to get a replacement box. I dont want to lose what's on my dvr - is there any way to back up the contents, either to an external drive or to my computer (adding further complication, I'm on a mac, fyi)? I'm not looking to watch anything anywhere other than my dvr, I just want to be able to keep what I've recorded when I get a new box.

I'm with time warner, box is running passport.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Not directly. The only way you might would be to use the IEEE-1394/FireWire port on the SA box (if it has one, and is active), get the Mac FireWire SDK which includes the necessary software to make your computer appear to the STB to be a D-VHS VCR, and capture the transport streams that way. Unfortunately, this method has certain caveats:
  • It's slow. You'll be playing back and transferring in real-time - you'll have to play using the TV and remote, and capture on the computer.
  • You'll need to get appropriate software to play or convert the transport stream - a lot of software doesn't understand the transport stream format (which is not the same as MPEG program stream, like what DVD uses).
  • You can't get the shows back onto another SA 8300HD.
  • This depends on your cable provider having the model with an IEEE-1394/FireWire port, and the port being active - not guaranteed, even with the FCC mandate in place.

Good luck to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts