AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I build a pair of 3 way speakers for a stereo setup using high end car audio speakers? Or are there home audio drivers that would be much more suited to the purpose? I was specifically looking into stuff like Rainbow, CDT, Morel, and Focal? To be honest, what got me started on this idea was the new CDT home audio speakers found here (in case anyone knows anything about these speakers): http://cdtaudio.com/M602+_home.htm

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
It's DIY, you can do anything you want

You could buy car audio component speakers and place them in your own custom

speaker box and most likely the component speakers come with crossovers, one less

headache for you.

I'd audition speakers first before dropping down cash.

Hypothetical.

/home audio

Lets say you spent $100 - $200 each, for high end tweeter and the same price

range for high end midwoofers. For a TM design, it could cost you $400 - $800

not counting crossovers.

If you scored $600 - $1000 Rainbow speakers and you auditioned them and liked the sound, then it's not too bad considering the crossover is already made. You'll

probably need a high pass crossover for the midwoofers though.

But.. most people seem satisfied with $25 - $50 tweeters and $25 - $50 mids for a typical quality

home loudspeaker and you might get amazing performance from this rig vs. Rainbows,

depends on if you found a design already made or know how to execute the crossover design yourself.

Using brand name car audio components wouldn't be my first choice but you can analyze

the situation to see if it works for you.

Just keep in mind the impedance difference with car audio gear.

Don't assume those expensive car speakers will guarantee great sound either.

There is alot of marketing in car audio.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I like CDT and have one of their component systems in my car. But let me knickpick just a liitle on their terminology:

This speaker delivers subwoofer bass and reference quality midrange at the same time. The M6+ is an amazing work of art in speaker design. The dome and cone vibrations are combined with rare precision to get synergetic results.

Synergetic?

Maybe you mean synergistic?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
As long as you put them in the proper enclosure, it does not matter if the driver is meant for the car or home. Well, durability can be an issue putting some home drivers into a car, but that doesn't apply here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first of all....i think i'm gonna go 2 way now. it'd require a simpler cabinet, and i could use the one they spec'd out for themselves (read below).

i just emailed john over at CDT. he showed me the cabinet designs and stuff so i think i feel somewhat confident in the idea of making my own cabinets now, based exactly off of their cabinet design. i dont feel that i need to use their tweeter..i think another companies would do just as well and cost a lot less.....vifa makes good ones don't they? i'd like to find a tweeter that i can get for about 40 bucks per tweet or so and be real smooth, but lively. do you guys know of anything that would fit that task?

i think i'm gonna stick with the m6+'s simply because i've tried them and i love how they sound (the other option is the es-06+)...and i dono if any home audio speakers can provide the punch in the chest that those can for midbass...i love midbass....i can get them for 135 per driver at the absolute most i think....possibly down to 100 per driver.

what do you recommend building the enclosure out of? MDF? ive never built a speaker before at all... also for ports, can you use somethin like PVC pipe or is there some other recommended material to use?

i'm attaching the PDF file on the design of the cabinets....it's the first speaker on the page. lemme know what you guys think of this. if you think there's any way to make it shorter, that'd help out a lot to be honest. space is a premium.

M6+_cabinets.pdf 28.4638671875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
MDF is great for building speaker cabinets. What kind of finish are you considering?

Also, speaker building is more than picking a woofer and tweeter and putting them in a box. Make sure the Vifa tweeter you like is compatible with your crossover, you don't want the crossover freq. too high or too low for your given drivers. There is also crossover slope and sensitivity of each driver to consider. A pair of great drivers won't sound their best with a lousy or poorly executed crossover.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got a lot done today.

i found the dayton crossover over on PE, so I'm lookin into that.

i got a hookup from a guy i work worth...I'm gonna use CDT M6+ drivers with CDT ES-01 tweeters. everything for about 250 shipped. He actually runs the same setup exact setup except with the ES-02 tweeter, and i loved how it sounded. He uses the Dayton x-over...sounds great.

His are ported. Due to space restrictions, I'm gonna have to seal them for right now. I'll eventually build a ported cabinet though in 4 months when I move and I have more room for them.

I have one kinda major problem though. I've got a Panasonic XR-57 receiver. It does [email protected] ohms. But with these drivers, the impedance would be 4 ohms. The Panny does not have preamp outputs since it's a digital amp (defeats the idea of getting an amp that does 4 ohms). Is there a way to use resistors to boost the impedance up to 6 ohms? The receiver is labeled for 6-16 ohms. Is it possible I could run the speakers without resistors at 4 ohms? Or is the Panasonic gonna break if I do that? This is the last part of the equation that I have to figure out. Once I figure this out, I'll be good to go. I have to buy the speakers by tomorrow or they'll be gone though. So help is appreciated on the impedance problem if any of you guys know what to do. Thanks!

PS - deneb - I'm thinking of painting the speakers gloss white so that the driver will be a black cone, with a red frame. I thought this would look pretty good....better than gloss black in my opinion. I could possibly paint the cabinet red too though. So, I'm leaning towards white, but red is an option. Black's out.

Please help me with the impedance stuff, I'm a noob!!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
FYI CDT uses Vifa speakers. If your going to spent $250 on speakers get the Pioneer TS-C720PRS some of the best speakers you can get under $1000 according to the reviews.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know the pio's are great...but they don't have nearly the midbass punch that the M6+'s have, which is my main goal as i build the speakers. i'm still open to different tweeters options, but the M6+ drivers are for sure. basically im lookin for a real lively tweeter, not mellow or laid back...it can be a bit bright...i personally like tweeters that are a little on the bright side. im gonna keep researching the Vifa tweets.

still though, i need major help with the impedance problem...anyone know what to do?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tC_skier /forum/post/0

i know the pio's are great...but they don't have nearly the midbass punch that the M6+'s have, which is my main goal as i build the speakers. i'm still open to different tweeters options, but the M6+ drivers are for sure. basically im lookin for a real lively tweeter, not mellow or laid back...it can be a bit bright...i personally like tweeters that are a little on the bright side. im gonna keep researching the Vifa tweets.

still though, i need major help with the impedance problem...anyone know what to do?

Find an amp or receiver that will at 4 ohms all yammies I have seen do. I also would not use a pre made Dayton xover because it's not designed for the drivers you will be using.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i really can't change the receiver up at all. ill look into the yamaha's, but it's gonna be hard to change that up. thats kinda why im looking for a way go figure out this impedance stuff.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:

i really can't change the receiver up at all. ill look into the yamaha's, but it's gonna be hard to change that up. thats kinda why im looking for a way go figure out this impedance stuff.

If the panni will bo 6 it should'nt have a problem doing 4 ohms.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep just posted that question in another forum. looks like it'll be fine.

aight so now the driver and the x-over are set (im using the dayton...ive heard it in this combination, and it correlates with the driver's needed filter points).

last item is the tweeter. i'm gonna make a new thread specifically for that so i can get the most options possible, and then go from there. i found 1 vifa that looks great though...the xt25.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:

yep just posted that question in another forum. looks like it'll be fine.

aight so now the driver and the x-over are set (im using the dayton...ive heard it in this combination, and it correlates with the driver's needed filter points).

last item is the tweeter. i'm gonna make a new thread specifically for that so i can get the most options possible, and then go from there. i found 1 vifa that looks great though...the xt25.

If you haven't picked the tweeter how do you know the xover will work???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If i choose the tweeter correctly, it will be one that has a crossover point extremely similar to the es-01. the xt25 fills the slot nicely, but i'm still gonna see what else is out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts