AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, even longer...

I just recently tried hooking up my mediocre 7.1 setup (Polk RM7500, Optimus PRO-LX511, Infinity HPS500) that hasn't been run since I got married 4 years ago. I had it temporarily rigged for a while, but a tile job in the living room killed that. Anywho... I went to hook it up and the Infinity HPS500 was dead. The high level works, but not low and the high definitely lacks the authority of the low. So now I either have to buy another amp for the sub, or a new sub. I saw Archaea's thread (and others) and decided it isn't worth trying to fix. I know I can power it with an external amp (local shop quoted $500 for an installed external, and said a plate amp wasn't worth considering), or I can for now buy something like the Dayton 1200, or a used Polk PSW505 and save for something better (or build) later. Additionally, I would like to get some decent towers for the front, to give the system more fullness, the Polk's just don't cut it. I could go with the Polk Monitor 70 II from Ebay for just under $300/pr, the JBL ES80 for $288/pr, or build something. For a similar cost, can I build a better speaker than I could buy with either of those two? I'd rather get this up and running soon, but if I can do substantially better by building, I can wait. Any input is appreciated. I was going to use my Fisher S830's, but one of those is dead too (I bought those back in '87, and was using them in my outbuilding...) My luck with tech has sucked as of late...

BTW, I have a chance at some Jamo D450s for $300, but since they are 4 ohm, and my surrounds are 8, I don't want to tank my receiver in addition to all the other audio issues, I've been experiencing. It already has a dead HDMI board, I also discovered when I hooked everything up. I bought it on Craigslist recently (an Onkyo tx-sr606) and asked specifically about it but couldn't check it. I know I should have, but I asked specifically about it (because HDMI was the reason for the upgrade), and the guy said it worked fine... so much for honesty ( I know I didn't do my due diligence, but that guy is still a [email protected]#k...
) I will be ordering the capacitors to fix it this week as well, as soon as I decide on whether or not to order the Dayrton sub...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1520995/can-i-build-a-better-set-than-i-can-buy#post_24440750

Might want to look at the SEOS kits from diysoundgroup.com. Sub DIY might be a consideration, too. Try posting in the DIY forum, too.
Will do, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts