AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I burn .wav files onto a DVD disc and play them on my DVD player? What about a DVD with MP3's? My Panasonic CV-51 5 disc DVD player reads CD-R's and CD-RW's and has an MP3 decoder.The idea is to compile a large number of favorite songs onto discs and pop them in, 1 to 5 at a time for ultimate song selection without needing a 200, 300 or 400 disc mega changer. Of course, a DVD writer is expensive right now, but I'm thinking when they drop in price.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I believe wav.files are actual files that you use to burn audio cds. Come to think of it, I don't see why not unless the player reads it audio without video.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If your DVD player plays CD-R's and decodes MP3, you would only need a CD writer, not a DVD writer, to put these mp3's onto a disc. And a CD writer and CDR's are much much cheaper than a DVD writer and DVD-R's.

Thug-Nerd

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm well aware of putting MP3's onto a CDR or CDRW. I have already done that and it works ok. I don't intend to run out and buy a DVD writer, its just an idea I was curious about.

The idea is.......MP3's are lower quality than .wav files, or regular CD format. Now there is DVD Audio and SACD. So rather than going for the better audio, or compromising by going to MP3's, I am talking about sticking with the same .wav CD format and getting more music on a disc.

Just curious if the player will recognize .wav files on a DVD and play them back. For that matter, imagine MP3's on a DVD. That's like 6 or 700 songs!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
No it won't any dvd player that I know of will not recognize .wav files. Your better off just burning cd's. They will recognize those and those are as high of quality. Dvd players are set to recognize specific formats and .wav is not one of them. It may be that in the future you will be able to burn audio dvd's but not currently.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can make .mp3's that sound as good as Cd's!:eek: And all the software is free!

Get a soda, then go to:

www.r3mix.net

Read everything on that website. Then go back and read it again. Then read the forums.

Then start making your .mp3's.

If you want to see how good the quality is for yourself, make a CD-R with 5 .wav files: four of the original CD rip, the other being that same CD rip encoded to .mp3, and then back to .wav. Then play the CD for everyone you know, and try to find anyone that can state, without a doubt, which one is the .mp3. I've got 6 "test" CD's with different kinds of music, that I've used on many different systems, with many different listeners, and I've never found anyone who was confident in picking out the .mp3. And many of these systems were pro monitoring setups, or using $100+ headphones. But don't take my word for it. The software (EAC and Razorlame) is free, the CD-R is

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cinepro
I've got 6 "test" CD's with different kinds of music, that I've used on many different systems, with many different listeners, and I've never found anyone who was confident in picking out the .mp3. And many of these systems were pro monitoring setups, or using $100+ headphones.
I am afraid this is not a good enough test. That's why most people probably including me cannot tell for sure. If the test is conducted using an A/B switch that listener can switch quickly between two synchronized (and same volume level of course) audio sources of CD and MP3 most people can tell there exists some difference - and any difference means distortion for many of us here.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Mp3's encoded at high bitrates rival any cd quality sound. at 320kbps they are almost indistinguishable even by the most high end systems.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right. Well, i don't have a doubt that MP3's are of a fair enough quality to be convenient either way. I have made some and they sound good to me.

Imagine if you will, a DVD disc with 4.5 to 4.7 GB of MP3's!! That's like 600 to 700 songs on a disc. With a 5 disc DVD changer, you've got a party covered right there. I like the idea of having quick access to my songs, plus, if i have all those songs burned on discs in my DVD player, then the disc is still available to me to use in a portable or a car player, know what I mean?

I guess for now, 5 CD-R's or CD-RW of 700 MB with MP3's is easily 150 songs on each CD, so 600 songs in your player at once is pretty convenient as it is.

I was just curious about putting audio files on DVD discs.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The process is called 'recording on line'

Using CD-Rs how many discs would it take you to listen to 300 songs at average 2 minutes each?

Using a Hi-Fi V.c.r. with a T-200 High grade cassette which the capacity to record is 10 hours of video/audio or just audio. 10 hours or 600 minutes devided by a 2 minute song on the average would avail you 300 songs in any format that you record them in be it mono, stereo, dolby surround. I do have a 300 CD changer, but when making party tapes for my 'age' friends I can record 'on line' with no video up to 300 songs on the T-200 that will cover a rather long party without having to stop to change casettes or discs on your part.

A T-120 will alow you to record anything you want up to and including 6 hours. I know this is off topic on a DVD software forum, but you shoyuld be informed that this techology has been in effect since the Hi-Fi vcr has been made. Due to my age I have quite a few party tapes, for any kind of party for example halloween. Starting out with my age friends would be the classic Monster Mash with Bobby 'Boris' Picket and so on. To find out where line is turn your vcr on go to the lowest channel then go down one more you will see the words Line. To record in line you take your incoming video rca phono jack out of the input. Hook up audio with your Compact Disc player your all set.

When playing back you keep the video input/output free of all connections

You don't have to turn on your television set at all, just your amplifier or receiver. Turn on vcr and push play the speakers will play in HI-FI as good as the Compact Disc and you will have saved how much? You will only have to find room for 1 casette at a time not 7.5 CD-Rs at 80 minute record time for 300 songs at 2 minutes average a piece, make sense.

I have been recording in 'line' since 1985 when Hi-Fi were lower priced. Technology that was not indicated in selling the Hi-Fi vcr, 16 years ago in the last century!

I will buy a cd/rw for a computer, but my

Hi-Fi V.C.R s still the longest 'cassette' tape recorder in the world even today. You have your Tivo, but you can't archive it.

Now you know you have one more option of recording any format that takes rca 'phono' jacks as your audio input!:)

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, thats actually a really cool idea. I might try that again some time. I have been aware of that for over 10 years. We bought our first Hi-Fi VCR in 1986 and wow, it kicked cassette tapes ass. I recorded a few songs back then to see the quality but lost interest because I couldn't play the tapes in my own stereo, my walkman or my car. The idea with the CDR's or DVDR's is to cram a whole bunch of songs on there, that can be played elsewhere and in different order, random access. Good idea about the party tapes though. I'm going to tell my friends about that again and remind them how to make cool party tapes.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
cdc you know that they have vcrs for 12 volt D.C.I had a dodge van converted over to camper. We were having a party I was a member of the van clan, I put the Vcr on line with a beach party theme only we were in the Poconos mountains (circa 1982) covered it with black electrical tape turned off the TV and let the music blare.

All my partialy sober, some sober and some not friends looked, but none of those poor souls could find where the music was coming from. I was ROFLMAO looking at them shaking their heads and saying that dodge has the speakers, but I dunno where that Frankie Avalon song from "Beach Party" is coming from. I had a 'line' cassette made from several beach party movies, the beach boys, and Jan & Dean on that vcr direct current cassette I fooled them all! cdc that was a great way to fool all of my friends in the mountains but listening to 'tunes' like Surfer Girl~Beach Boys.:)

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats actually pretty funny. It certainly is a better option than reel-to-reel. I actually don't think I'd waste the video. I bet you could find something neat to record video wise that would entertain anyone who happened to look at the screen. Doesn't have to have anything to do with the music. Have you ever been to a party where the TV is on with the volume off and the tunes are cranked? People used to do that and it was weird.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
In using a Sennhesier DSP-Pro you cut the volume at the TV and run a set of patch cords out to the waiting connection with a ratcshack phono to phono conecter. The Sennhesier red and white connect at that point to go the Dolby Surround Pro-Logic decoder producing a 5 sounds from headphones. I have all my sound feeds directly going to the multiple dsp units using the same Sony V-6 to hook up to set preferences and turn it up without distrurbing others in my special buillding where I live.

One special device I have listed in usercp is rat shacks OOP 42-2108 stereo reverb which can add up to 2,000 miliseconds of reverb (echo) and produce 100 times the depth. I used to sell those to people that owned small cars who wanted a big echo sound inside of their car or their headphones which I still use for concert DVDs,that's one way.

The other for your party would be TV audio out to a waiting compact cassette player on a receiver to loud speakers. The TV would show volume all the way down and/or off position and what you have on your cassette would be playing as loud as you have tweaked your system to prevent distortion from speakers with matching timbre. I was devil in doing magic with sound, now if I can only learn what is needed for putting a HTPC together. Once I learn how then it's straight to the right till morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.