AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I want to buy a budget led TV of 46-47".


I'm mostly looking for the cheapest 46" LED TV (120 Hz if possible) with this conditions:


- Reliability (won't like the TV dying on me just after 12 months).

- Good black levels and decent color reproduction.

- I'm NOT interested in special features like Internet, 3d or anything like it, not even sound. Just plain HD video reproduction.


I can find Toshiba TV's for around 200$ less than the competition. I found the Toshiba 46SL412U 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV, for around 700$ on amazon when any other brand I respect (Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp) is above 900$


So my question is: does the toshiba brand compare to the other ones in the terms I'm looking for? would you recommend it?


Any other comments or suggestions are more than welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
Why does it have to be LED and not CCFL? There are a couple of very good CCFL models (Sony KDL46EX500 and Samsung LND630) that should be within shouting distance of the Toshiba LED's price. Both are 120hz. Both are relatively known quantities for good reliability, the Toshiba doesn't have a track record. There are some rumors afloat that low end Toshibas are actually made by Funai, who brought your Sylvania, Magnavox, and various store brand disposable televisions.


My take is that if a set has technology and features of more expensive competitors at a radically lower price some sacrifice must be made for reliability or pq.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20834662


Why does it have to be LED and not CCFL? There are a couple of very good CCFL models (Sony KDL46EX500 and Samsung LND630) that should be within shouting distance of the Toshiba LED's price. Both are 120hz. Both are relatively known quantities for good reliability, the Toshiba doesn't have a track record. There are some rumors afloat that low end Toshibas are actually made by Funai, who brought your Sylvania, Magnavox, and various store brand disposable televisions.


My take is that if a set has technology and features of more expensive competitors at a radically lower price some sacrifice must be made for reliability or pq.

I preffer led mostly cause I believe it has better black levels and (believe it or not) heat generation... I often whatch tv with the dor colsed and dont Have air conditioning (my apartment never gets too hot or too cold, a fan is enough (Tropical country)) So when I whatch a movie on my samsung LN5000 series 40" TV, the room temperature starts to rise... After 2 hours on a hot day it starts to get anoying. I made an experiment leaving the TV on without anyone inside and the room still got hot, so it isn't just my body heat.


What do you think of the SONY KDL46EX710? it's at an unexpected low price on my country. Let's say it would be almost the same as buying the toshiba on the US and paying for the shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoajax /forum/post/20837254


I preffer led mostly cause I believe it has better black levels and (believe it or not) heat generation... I often whatch tv with the dor colsed and dont Have air conditioning (my apartment never gets too hot or too cold, a fan is enough (Tropical country)) So when I whatch a movie on my samsung LN5000 series 40" TV, the room temperature starts to rise... After 2 hours on a hot day it starts to get anoying. I made an experiment leaving the TV on without anyone inside and the room still got hot, so it isn't just my body heat.


What do you think of the SONY KDL46EX710? it's at an unexpected low price on my country. Let's say it would be almost the same as buying the toshiba on the US and paying for the shipping.

LED is just a different "light source" than CCFL, thus the black level performance does not differ much at all. Except when only the LED are used in such a way of "local-dimming" would it affect the black level performance.


Then you need to take into account the LCD panel and polarizing quality of the display which also affects black level performance.


I would trust the Sony EX710 much more than the Toshiba. Mainly because that Sony model was quite popular and that Toshiba didn't seem to get much attention at all.

I'm not implying anything bad for Toshiba, I believe they deserve more attention than what they get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
I own a KDL46EX710--got it free from Sony due to light engine failure on a 60" SXRD that was 4 years old.


It's a 2010 1/2 model. Originally released as the EX700 with lcd panels sourced from Sharp. Sharp was unable to produce enough panels so a switch was made to other sources and the model number changed to EX710. Available in 40, 46, and 55 inch screen sizes, the new panels for the 46 were from a different source than the other sizes and that model has some of the worst flashlighting around. Mine is ok from certain angles, horrible from others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20838354


I own a KDL46EX710--got it free from Sony due to light engine failure on a 60" SXRD that was 4 years old.


It's a 2010 1/2 model. Originally released as the EX700 with lcd panels sourced from Sharp. Sharp was unable to produce enough panels so a switch was made to other sources and the model number changed to EX710. Available in 40, 46, and 55 inch screen sizes, the new panels for the 46 were from a different source than the other sizes and that model has some of the worst flashlighting around. Mine is ok from certain angles, horrible from others.

So you're implying there's not much of an upgrade from a Samsung 500 series LCD TV. And black levels are not very different from LCD Panels at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoajax /forum/post/20843595


So you're implying there's not much of an upgrade from a Samsung 500 series LCD TV. And black levels are not very different from LCD Panels at all?

They are ALL LCD panels. It's the backlighting that's different, LED or CCFL. A medium to good CCFL should give you better screen uniformity than a cheap LED. Good black levels are what most of us want, but if there is flashlighting at the corners and clouding on the screen, why would you want that?


It all depends on your preferences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20843631


They are ALL LCD panels. It's the backlighting that's different, LED or CCFL. A medium to good CCFL should give you better screen uniformity than a cheap LED. Good black levels are what most of us want, but if there is flashlighting at the corners and clouding on the screen, why would you want that?


It all depends on your preferences.

OK. So Can anyone give me suggestions on non plasma, flat panel displays with good black levels and low flashlight?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top