AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can use Nero (or another program) to write ONLY the booktype to a blank disc? My goal is to fool a set top recorder that won't record on +R discs into thinking a +R disc is a -R. (Or do set top recorders insist on writing the booktype?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts
If I understand you correctly, the answer is no. Setting booktype is a function of the burning software when it writes the data to the DVD+R disk. This allows a player to interpret the disk as a DVD-ROM which may improve compatibility of DVD+R media on an older player that does not specify DVD+R as one of it's compatible formats. There is no way to change a +R into a -R to burn on an incompatible unit. It's a completely different format.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, my set top recorder will write either -R or +R; I just happen to have a ton of blank +R discs (for my PC) I'd like to use in it and play in my set top DVD player.

So let me ask this: After burning (and finalizing) a +R disc in the set top box, is it possible to booktype it on the PC (via Nero or whatever) to -ROM?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Have you simply *tried* using it? I was under the impression that many DVD players will actually work with both DVD-R and DVD+R, even if they only say they will work with one type.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, of course I tried it. My DVD player will read any kind of disc, if it's been booktyped as -ROM. Currently, that means buring the entire disc (+/- R) on my PC using Nero and booktyping as -ROM. However, if I burn a +R on the set top recorder, my DVD player won't load it. But, I thought, what if I can change the booktype (after recording on the set top) to -ROM? I just don't know if that's possible.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixString /forum/post/14299522

Yes, of course I tried it. My DVD player will read any kind of disc, if it's been booktyped as -ROM. Currently, that means buring the entire disc (+/- R) on my PC using Nero and booktyping as -ROM. However, if I burn a +R on the set top recorder, my DVD player won't load it. But, I thought, what if I can change the booktype (after recording on the set top) to -ROM? I just don't know if that's possible.

Try it with a +RW disk. If your set top recorder can use them.

It has been awhile since I have fooled with setting bookmarks because seems like everything I have now plays OK without needing a ROM bookmark, but pretty sure I have set +RW bookmarks for ROM in Nero and other tools like DVDinfo pro and a separate bookmarking program that came with the drive to change it, and would stay change until changed back or reformatted.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixString /forum/post/14297975

Actually, my set top recorder will write either -R or +R; I just happen to have a ton of blank +R discs (for my PC) I'd like to use in it and play in my set top DVD player.

So let me ask this: After burning (and finalizing) a +R disc in the set top box, is it possible to booktype it on the PC (via Nero or whatever) to -ROM?

Yes, you can. Use your settop recorder to burn the content to a DVD-RW (or +RW). Download a copy of DVDDecrypter (free/fast, the best there was) to rip the -RW as an .ISO image file to your PC-HDD then use DVDDecrypter to set the booktype to DVD-ROM and burn the .ISO to DVD+R. DVDDecrypter has a self-contained burning module with a verify option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts