AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've just set up my new 60'' Samsung F8500 and I want to know if it's safe to change the picture settings or do I need to wait 100 hours or something. I've heard a lot of stuff on the internet about "breaking in" a new TV. I never bothered breaking in my previous F8500 and I fiddled around with the settings like crazy, but that TV developed a dead pixel and reception problems, so I want to be very careful now. But I also want to change the Picture Mode from Standard to Movie and reduce the Cell Light. Is it okay if I do that? Standard looks terrible.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Just make sure you run full screen content for the first 24-48 hours at a minimum, you want even wear of the phosphors when they burn brightest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So is it okay to change settings like brightness and contrast? Do I need to reduce brightness and contrast as part of the break-in?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Keep your settings conservative for the first 100 hours or so

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You can change any settings you want and use any of the default presets. No need to keep it in standard.

It is also recommended to lower brightness and contrast in the beginning or any other settings that might have an effect with IR like vivid modes and such.

Otherwise, you can change any settings you would like to. Like mentioned, just watch full screen content in the beginning and don't leave static logo's on for to long. Mix up your content.

The issues you said you had with your last TV would not have anything to do with your picture settings so this will not avoid or cause something like that. Things like that can very well happen again but hopefully the panel you just got performs better then the last one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon  /t/1523092/can-i-change-picture-settings-immediately-after-setting-up-a-new-tv#post_24497303

Keep your settings conservative for the first 100 hours or so
What does "conservative" mean for TV settings?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
For your set mainly the cell light control keep it in the 10 to 15 range, higher contrast in the first few 100 hours can cause IR

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg  /t/1523092/can-i-change-picture-settings-immediately-after-setting-up-a-new-tv#post_24518033

Let me be the first to say, it does not matter what you do you'll be fine.
So you are saying it does not matter if he runs his new plasma in Vivid mode all day long watching the Cartoon Network and Fox Sports while pausing it when he eats breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sure, he might continue to be fine but his TV sure as heck won't be.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1523092/can-i-change-picture-settings-immediately-after-setting-up-a-new-tv/0_100#post_24518237

So you are saying it does not matter if he runs his new plasma in Vivid mode all day long watching the Cartoon Network and Fox Sports while pausing it when he eats breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sure, he might continue to be fine but his TV sure as heck won't be.
That wasn't the question he asked. He asked if he needed to "break in" his set and lower his settings for the first 100 hours. The answer is no. I would never recommend vivid mode to anyone, but that is because of the terrible picture quality more than anything. If he uses Cinema he can basically do whatever he wants with the tv forever, as long as he is not only watching cartoon network with the same logo in the corner 100% of the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts