AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rather confused about whether or not I could connect my TV to a HTPC at a decent resolution to watch HD content! I already use a DVI/VGA connection to watch occasional stuff which I download but want to update to a new HTPC to handle all our media. I currently go through the computer input which is at 1024x768.

My question is, could I change the input on the TV to the HD video format and then connect to a new HTPC (with a higher output resolution than 1024x768)? The manual on the TV states that to connect to a PC, I should use a DVI cable or VGA and that the formats are 1024x768 at maximum BUT there are video formats accepted of 1280x720p and 1920x1080i. Would the computer successfully feed through the higher video formats?!

I hope this makes sense to someone! here is a link to the spec without the www. as I can't post links yet! p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pf5520d_10/26pf5520d_10_pss_eng.pdf

I just want to check before I build a HTPC and then can't connect to our existing TV. The husband would not be too keen on buying a new TV as well as a new PC!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since you have not stated what the native resolution of your TV is or what it's make/model is we can not answer your questiion. It is possible that it has a native resolution of 1024x768 and if true it means that when you send it 720p or 1080i it accepts themn but you don't see them since it has to down scale the content to 1024x768 by removing the amount of detail required.

If your TV is a CRT technology TV and not a fixed pixel digital technology TV then you may be able to view resolutions higher then 1024x768 with some success.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Set your resolution to 1360 x 768 and you will have a high-def PC monitor. It will look quite amazing the first time you see it, but after that, you get used to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So would that then be through the HD input selection mode on my TV? Essentially I want to know if I can connect to the HTPC in the video format resoultions mentioned on the spec sheet, and not just the computer format I think. Also, did you choose that resolution based upon the panel resolution being 1366 x 768p?

My problem is that I don't currently own a PC with DVI output so I can't test it until I actually bought the new HTPC.

Thanks

Elle

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you get a 1366x768 TV you should use either 1360x768, 1266x768 or 720p to connect HD programs to it. There is not need to use 1080i since it will have to have 1/2 of its HD detail removed for a 1366x768 native resolution TV.

Note: pixels on digital TVs are just like light bulps on a freeway traffic sign the nuber of rows and the number of bulps per row never changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you don't need to be going through the "PC input" mode (when selected on the TV) in order to connect the the HTPC?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
NO, The TV has no idea where the inputs are coming from so as long as your PC sends there correct protocol and resolution for the interface you want to use there is no problem. All recent genseration graphic cards have had any problems do this over Component, DVI/HDMI, S-video etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts