AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to record a DVD I'm watching onto the hard drive of a Panasonic E80? The HDD function won't allow me to play a DVD, while the DVD function doesn't allow me to record onto the hard drive. I'm hoping I'm just suffering from brain freeze. Thank-You for your time. Dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe the only type of DVD that the E-80 can copy from the DVD drive to the HDD drive is DVD-RAM. DVD-R and commercial DVDs cannot be copied this way.

However, there are work arounds. Either a separate DVD player input to one of the E-80 inputs OR looping the E-80 output back into the input makes recording to the HDD possible.

Please note that these steps alone do NOT get around copy protection issues. Commercial DVDs are copy protected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
evileye,

this is way off topic but i noticed that you are from atlanta georgia. i am considering moving to macon georgia and wondered if you had any insight into the area (like what areas to avoid, what areas are good, anything to look out for). the place i am looking at is just out side the west side of i-475. as i am out of state i really don't know anything about this area or georgia in general, so any info or opinion you have, i would be interested in. thanks

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Panny won't even let you copy your home made DVD to the hard disk! I have used a separate DVD player to do this. There was a thread here a few days ago about a work-around. Can't locate it right now - but as i recall it had something to do with feeding the output from the DVD side into an input for the hard disk.

I believe other brands allow for copying (non-protected) DVDs to the hard disk.

...mike

·
Registered
929 Posts
Right, dvd output into hdd input. The secret seems to be to start the RECORD on the hdd before going to the dvd to PLAY.

Also, reminder that you'll be going thru the conversion to analog process.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
After reading this thread I began to wonder...ARE there any standalone recorders with HD that DO go from -r/+r to the HD?

I'm not an engineer but as long as the copyright stuff is on the player, I don't see the biggie.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Pioneer 510 manual says you can do that...there are devices that work around Macrovision and PC software that does likewise.

The Panny CPRM is the thing I like least, but, truthfully I use it mostly to archive stuff w/o copy protection so its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Snidely did you copy the one you want to copy on the E-80? Sounds like you did not. If you did burn another. However, The very best way to copy a homemade non commercial dvd is on a freaking computer burner because you get no resolution loss. You can buy DVD X Copy at BB very cheap.or download free DVD Shrink off the net. ANY current DVD Recorder is the worst way to duplicate a DVD. Why you people cannot get this through your heads is beyond many of us. It has been posted here ad nauseum. YOU WILL get a resolution LOSS with any DVD Recorder if you try to dupe on that- YOU will not with a computer burner.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I made the DVD in question on the Panny (I have an HS2, which works virtually the same as the newer E80).

I got a standalone DVD recorder because of the ease of burning lots of home movies (23 y.o. VHS, 15 y.o. 8mm, and newer mini-dv.)

What happened was that i didn't make enuf copies of a particular tape. When I realized that, i had already erased it from the hard disk. This was one of the few older tapes that had given me problems in playing back - tracking problems. It was easier to record off one of the DVDs i had made.

This was an old tape that was not good when it was new - by today's standard. Any loss in quality is not noticed.

...mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.