AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one HR21 and I just got approved for another one from D*. One of them is going to be for RV travel so I won't have it plugged in alot and recording. I would like to be able to transfer everything recorded from one to the travel one before we leave on trips. Is this possible.

I know I can unhook the first and just take it but was trying to not have to remove each time. I guess the other option I just thought of is to have them setup to record the same stuff and just swap them out when we go on trips.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
No it is not possible.

They are supposedly working on Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) where you can watch recorded content from one DVR on another one if they are networked together, but I don't think that will help you since it doesn't actually copy the files as far as I know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I'm trying to do is be able to update the HR-21 receiver in my RV with the content from the one in the house.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt /forum/post/15537322

There are ways of copying the hard drive to another hard drive. (including an external drive) But it involves opening the case and using Linux to do it. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100894

That will not help with moving to another receiver since the content on the drive is associated with the receiver it was recorded on, and will only play on that receiver. The link you reference is useful if you are swapping (upgrading) internal drives on the same receiver, or if you want to be able to use settings -- but not content -- on another receiver.

I use external drives, and can boot one receiver off the drive of another. But I won't be able to play what's on it without going back to the original receiver.

·
Banned
248 Posts
You'll just have to record the content to DVD then take the DVD with you. If you need to carry your 2nd DirecTV box, you will be able to watch live TV however.

I guess you have to figure out which is more important, having live TV or previously recorded programs.

Alternatively, you could keep receiver #2 connected at home and begin to fill it up prior to your travels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts