AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

If I use a Blu-Ray Player to convert 2D into 3D (ie. Panasonic BDT310 Blu-Ray player is capable of this), should I be able to display this type of converted image in 3D using my BenQ W1080ST projector?

I have tried (i.e. set the BD player into its 3D conversion mode), but I am not sure I know how to make the the projector side of the equation work so that it will display the converted image (if it even can). These products work fantastic together with dedicated 3D blu-rays, but I am curious to see how a converted 3D movie looks so I can use this technique with my collection of standard blu-rays (I know it won't be as good as the real deal, but would like to see how it comes out)

Thank You

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You also have to press the 3D button on the 1080 remote and select the proper conversion that matches the bluray player. If you choose say side by side on the bluray you need to select the same on the projector. I too thought if you output it from the bluray player that the projector would automatically change but maybe not on none 3D native source. There might be someone else that knows more but I have done it once that way before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I just gave that a try (set both projector and blu-ray player to side-by-side and then activated the glasses). It's getting close now but one eye seems to "black-out".... get an intermittent blackout in one eye with a sense of 3D apparent but the picture is not in synch and remains fragmented (The Blu-Ray player offers options for 2-D-to-3D and then side-by-side as an either/or choice..I experimented with various combinations between the projector and player in addition to setting both to side-by-side, but the picture remains fragmented with each attempt. There must be something I am missing still (or perhaps it just isn't possible). Anyway....closest I've come so far to making it work. I'll keep trying. If the 2D-3D conversion does not work for me on this player (Panasonic BDT310), I'm considering exchanging it for the Samsung BD-F7500 player (offers 4K upscaling and a vastly improved streaming interface for Netflix, etc, but it doesn't have the 2D-3D feature). Anyway, I hope I can get the 2D-3D feature to work on my current set-up as I value that option more. Thanks again for your your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDVF  /t/1524863/can-i-display-a-converte...yer-on-the-w1080st-3d-projector#post_24546967

Thank You. I just gave that a try (set both projector and blu-ray player to side-by-side and then activated the glasses). It's getting close now but one eye seems to "black-out".... get an intermittent blackout in one eye with a sense of 3D apparent but the picture is not in synch and remains fragmented (The Blu-Ray player offers options for 2-D-to-3D and then side-by-side as an either/or choice..I experimented with various combinations between the projector and player in addition to setting both to side-by-side, but the picture remains fragmented with each attempt. There must be something I am missing still (or perhaps it just isn't possible). Anyway....closest I've come so far to making it work. I'll keep trying. If the 2D-3D conversion does not work for me on this player (Panasonic BDT310), I'm considering exchanging it for the Samsung BD-F7500 player (offers 4K upscaling and a vastly improved streaming interface for Netflix, etc, but it doesn't have the 2D-3D feature). Anyway, I hope I can get the 2D-3D feature to work on my current set-up as I value that option more. Thanks again for your your suggestions.

I've done this successfully. I have a Benq 1080ST and the Samsung BD-6700 bluray player, one of the last to incorporate 2D to 3D conversion. Conveniently enough, it outputs the normal 2D image so that all you have to do is press the 2D-3D button on the remote and it instantly converts it into 3D in framepacked mode. No complicated switchinig

However the caveat, and it's major, is that the conversion SUCKS! Any camera movement, especially mild to fast panning, causes sickening amounts of judder and the converted image is confused trash. For slower drama type movies it may be okay but certainly not for action movies

I used to think this bluray player was one of the best at converting to 3D, until I moved from a 55" tv to a projector. Now all of its conversion flaws can be seen, and there are many in the conversion process that now stick out like a sore thumb. The only good suggestion is to move up to a projector with built in 2D to 3D conversion if you like that feature. The Benq W1500 offers it, and many others as well. This way the conversion is optimized FOR THAT specific projector and for a very large image

Reactions: DaveDVF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for explaining that. At least I know its not really worth the effort then. I got a great deal on the projector and stepping up to the W1500 would be too much of a price diff just to get this feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts