Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, some background....

I have been living in an apartment w/o satellite since Aug 02 and am moving into a house on 1 Oct. I have a HDTV with the built-in box and built-in DTV. I bought this about a year ago and also purchased a new DTV Plus dish that has the two LNBs. At that time, the only thing on the 3rd LNB was Showtime HD which I didnt subscribe to and felt no reason to get the third LNB. My questions are....

1. Do I need to upgrade my dish to receive any of the HD channels now available? I didnt need it last year, I got them all so I am hoping I dont.

2. Since I have the receiver built-in I have a direct line from the satellite to the TV to get the HD. If I bought a combo Directv/Tivo unit (or even a stand-alone Tivo) and plugged it into the S-Video input of my Vid 1 connection, will I be able to get the HDTV broadcasts of the channels or does it have to be a direct connection from either an antenna or satellite into the TV??

Thanks for bearing with me and for any help you can give. :)

Ellis

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well the 3 newest HD channels, Discovery HD, HDNet Movies and ESPN HD have joined Showtime HD on the 3rd lnb (110) so it might be time to get that 3rd lnb (the so called Sat C kit).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Please use the correct acronyms.

'DTV' = Digital Television, as in local DTV stations broadcasting in your area.

'D*' = DirecTV

Thanks.

The DirecTV TiVo will need it's own coax from the 3 LNB dish for DirecTV HD & an antenna coax for local DTV.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
1. When you move, call the D* Movers' Hotline at:

1-877 616-MOVE. Tell them you need a "Multi-Sat" dish at your new address. In many areas, the Multi-Sat dish is the standard default dish installed now, but specify it to be sure....

2. If you get a Tivo, run a separate coax from the Tivo to one of the spare outputs on your multi-sat dish. Or ask the installer to run an extra coax. You also need a coax from the antenna for OTA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.