Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am thinking about replacing my 3 year old 32"Sony Vega with a similar set that is HD capable. I am looking at 2 Sony models, the KV-32HV600 and the KV-32HS500.

I have a cabinet that will not hold a set larger than 36" wide, so this is about as big as I can go.

I am planning on using Time Warner Digital Cable and their HD service as well as a HTPC with MyHD or something similar.

Can the DVI input on these sets take output from a DVI video card on a computer, or is this input just meat for a HD box with some sort of copy protection?

I also have a TiVo. I am not sure which box TWC gives out in my area for HD cable, but I currently have a SD(digital) Scientific Atlanta box, I assume I will get another SA box. I am thinking I will run component video and digital audio out of the SA box into one port of my receiver and S Video and analog audio from the SA box to the TiVo. There is no reason this would not be possible, right?

Thanks for any help. I would also appreciate anyone's impressions of these two Sony models, or if there is another brand I should consider. I have had good luck with Sony TVs, but am curious if anyone does a better job.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You can probably fit a 34" 16:9 widescreen HDTV model set in that area too. This will give you a much larger 16:9 image area for high quality widescreen sources like HDTV and DVD movies!

·
Registered
12 Posts
DTH,

It really depends upon what you want to do with the set. If it's mostly for HD viewing and DVD watching, go with widescreen. If you watch a lot of 4:3, I would even still recommend a widescreen. More and more content will be moving to HD, which is displayed broadcast in a widescreen format.

A 34" widescreen would be an excellent choice, but I just looked up the actual cabinet dimensions of Sony's KV-34XBR800, and it is over 39" wide. I am fairly certain other models will be about the same width at that size.

I really suggest you wait and take a look at either the new 30" 30XBR910 from Sony coming out this summer, or Samsung's updated 30" which is also due out this summer, I believe. They have a 30" out right now but it does not have a DVI input, which you will most definitely want in an HDTV due to upcoming copy-protection schemes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. This set is an interim solution until I can justify a big wide aspect set and the cabinetry to store it. I realize the limitations of a 4:3 set, I have been using one for 3 years now, watching DVDs in squeeze mode. I simply do not have the room for even the smallest 34"er.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking about replacing my 3 year old 32"Sony Vega with a similar set that is HD capable. I am looking at 2 Sony models, the KV-32HV600 and the KV-32HS500.
The HV600 allows more control of the line doubler Sony calls DRC. Some AVSforum members really prefer the HV600 over the HS500 because of this but if you have digital cable HDTV then it may not be important because DRC control is more important to turn it down for NTSC. It's a matter of economics so get the HV600 if the price is not too exorbitant. It might help a little with the Tivo picture quality until HD DVRs come out too.

Quote:
I have a cabinet that will not hold a set larger than 36" wide, so this is about as big as I can go.
You may want to check out the dimensions of a Toshiba and then see if you can live with that picture and then see how big you can buy. Although I have a Sony 34xbr800, I have read good things about the Toshiba including it is narrower because of where it places its speakers compared to the Sony. Maybe the 34" widescreen will be an option.

Quote:
I am planning on using Time Warner Digital Cable and their HD service as well as a HTPC with MyHD or something similar.

Can the DVI input on these sets take output from a DVI video card on a computer, or is this input just meat for a HD box with some sort of copy protection?
The xbr800 DVI-D port is not made for computers. It is HDCP compatible to be used with DVD players and STB so far. The DVI port will offer the option of a totally digital connection for example with the new Bravo D1 DVD player with DVI port. The folks on the DVD hardware part of us AVSforum are saying good things about the picture quality with the DVI port.

Quote:
I also have a TiVo. I am not sure which box TWC gives out in my area for HD cable, but I currently have a SD(digital) Scientific Atlanta box, I assume I will get another SA box. I am thinking I will run component video and digital audio out of the SA box into one port of my receiver and S Video and analog audio from the SA box to the TiVo. There is no reason this would not be possible, right?
I have a ReplayTV connected between my Motorola STB and my TV. The STB to replaytv connection is composite and the replaytv to Sony 34xbr800 connection is S video. It works fine although the DVR will never look as good as a DVD.

Quote:
Thanks for any help. I would also appreciate anyone's impressions of these two Sony models, or if there is another brand I should consider. I have had good luck with Sony TVs, but am curious if anyone does a better job.
I think Sony and Toshiba are considered excellent direct view TVs although some like Phillips and Panasonic and Loewe too. You can do a search on each of these brands to learn more. New models usually come out in the summer or fall (like a car, LOL).

Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
You can probably fit a 34" 16:9 widescreen HDTV model set in that area too. This will give you a much larger 16:9 image area for high quality widescreen sources like HDTV and DVD movies!
The 34" inch models are wider than 36"! He just said that 36" wouldn't fit. You have clearly gone way over the edge now. I'm now clearly convinced that you are nothing more than a common Internet troll. Don't you have anything better to do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Toshiba 34", like ricbayer said, may fit. This is one of those rare instances where DonBerg's insistence on widescreen makes sense; DTH has HD and DVD sources available, and wants to use a HTPC. The image on a 34" widescreen is significantly larger than the widescreen image on a 32" 4:3. But, if even the Tosh won't fit there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 32". I would say the 32HV600 is the best 32" HDTV on the market right now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The original post says that it won't hold anything larger than 36" wide. The 34" models are considerably wider than that. I can see why he is looking for a 32", I haven't looked at any of the 30" widescreens. Maybe they will fit. Not sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, thanks for the responses. The Toshiba 34" does meet my size requirements. However it seems impossible to find detailed information on this set. Does anyone know if and/or how it supports 720p?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Far as I know, the Toshiba supports 480p and 1080i, upconverts everything else (including 720p). This is true with just about every direct-view HDTV set. I am not sure how the component inputs will handle different resolutions, though. I just know the Sony and Samsung widescreens have auto-sensing component inputs that support the usual resolutions, inc. 740p, which is converted to 1080i.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
As usual, Kadman is uninformed stating all (he did not state some or the average) 34" widescreen sets are wider than 36" - the Toshiba 34HD(X)82 34" 16:9 HDTV is under 34" wide. Kadman always posts attacks against me and now has been proven wrong! Of course he will never aologize. The Toshiba accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i - upconverting 720p to 1080i like other HDTV direct-view sets. Here is a link to download the complete owner's manual for the Toshiba 34HDX82 including dimensions:
http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...2_ownman_a.pdf

I am happy to provide this kind of useful information as I always try to do to help other prospective HDTV buyers out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Donberg,

There's no reason to freak out over KadMan's post. He only said that the average 34" widescreen television is wider than 36", and suggested that a 30" might fit. It seems that you are the one making personal attacks regularly; every post by KadMan that mentions ANYTHING about aspect ratios is immediately attacked by you. I've seen so many posts by you concluded with phrases like "I'm here to help the newbies, so-and-so isn't!", "So-and-so is here to spread false information, what I say is true!", etc. Grow up, will ya?

Edit: Congrats on making your post a bit friendlier, changing your last line from this:

"I like to privide this useful information and not just post useless attacks and incorrect data like Kadman does."

At least it's a step in the right direction :)

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The problem, Tyler_B, is that Kadman immediately discounts my info when he isn't even sure himself! He should aplogize and you should not stand up for him when he is clearly wrong and you add words he did not post! Your first post was more accurate - agreeing with my suggestion. I offered long ago for peace with Kadman but he keeps following me around in these threads acttacking me - he is the one that starts the attacks, so ask him to "grow up" - if he stops it I will not have to respond to his attacks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
He probably was not considering 34" 16:9 sets that do not have side-mounted speakers, those are the only ones that would most likely fit. It's an honest mistake, though I agree he should have researched it more before posting like he knew for absolute certain.

DTH, I am sorry that this thread had to degenerate into another 16:9 vs 4:3 deathmatch. The best way to decide is just take a look for yourself, and try to view both a widescreen DVD and an HD signal. Do keep in mind, though, that any set (particularly widescreen sets) will look smaller on a huge show-room floor, and that the optimal viewing distance for a 34" widescreen is approx. 6 to 8 ft. to see all the detail of a Hi Definition signal.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
It appears like the thread originator is now willing to consider 16:9 sets that fit in his space, so you see bringing up alternatives to the single size 4:3 set he only iknew of initally indeed helped him. This is all I try to do, bring up all the alternatives to let the guy make a good decision - so please don't attack me for it! I am waving the flag of truce, please join me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had not seen a 34" widescreen that was that narrow. It was an honest mistake. Sorry DTH! If the 34" Toshiba would fit, it would certainly be worth tossing into the list of options. Your HTPC requirements may help you narrow down your choices. There are plenty of people around these forums that have gone down that path. A few searches should turn up some great info. Good luck!

Don, how did I turn this into 4:3 vs 16:9? My next statement was that a 30" widescreen might fit. Wouldn't that be considering a widescreen? Just as in other threads, you say that I only recommend 4:3 when there are posts where I recommend 16:9 sets in the same thread. Please dont try to lie to these people, they deserve better than that. Congratulations on ruining yet another thread.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There are also Zenith,Panasonic,new Phillips and new Sony 4.3 models

coming out in may.(Sony HS510 4.3).

Scientific Atlanta just started shipping there new cable box, model is either

3250 or 3600 for Time Warner (at least in NYC) it has DVI.

KadMan, your best bet is just to ignore donberg, he seems to know how

to get under your skin. Like I said in another post you are very helpful and

truly mean well, I don't know what his problem is either way if you

keep acknowledging him your just feeding his bs.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just FYI, the original poster did say this was a temporary solution so getting the 16x9 set to "future proof" himself would not be necessary. Although if the majority of TV watching is HDTV and DVD's then a 16x9 set definitelly would be beneficial.

And Yes the toshiba will fit at it is less than 35" wide. The sony and panasonic 34's are too wide but the toshiba would fit.

I was also in this exact situation. I had 36.5" to work with so naturally the sony 34 was out. The toshiba would fit and so would the sony 32" 4x3's. I had pretty much made up my mind to go with the toshiba when all of a sudden I walked into frys for some strange reason to look around. I never go into fry's anyway, much less to go there just to look around. Then what do I find? They are having the sony supersale and are blowing out all sony tv's at 25% off regular price. I took it as a sign and bought the 32HV600.

Sure it's a 4x3 but I figured I could take more advantage of the 4x3 even though I do watch a lot of DVD's. I don't have a STB and don't plan to get one till the prices come down. I also save about $1000 going with this set over the toshiba 34. Also I knew I would be able to get a larger 16x9 RPTV within a few years when I will be able to take more advantage of owning a 16x9 with more HD programming being available later.

Sure a 16x9 set would be great to watch DVD's and I would love to have one, but for my present situation the 4x3 was the perfect choice for me knowing I would be able to get my 16x9 RPTV withing a few years anyway.

So, would I like to have been able to get the 16x9 toshiba? Yes!

Do I think it would be worth the extra cost and do I think I would be able to take full advantage of it's capabilities at this time? To me... No!

The sony has everything i need... Auto 16x9 squeeze for HDTV and DVD, DVI input for possible future HDTV compatibility (just in case I need it), and 4x3 aspect for the majority of TV that I currently watch today.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
DNINE, I don't know why you are attacking me and being nice to Kadman. He made a false statement and said my information was wrong - when it was clearly correct and he doesn't even have the class to apologize to me! If you read the posts in this thread, I provided valuable information to the thread originator including links to the Toshiba owner's manual for precise verifiable information. Kadman merely posted insults and erroneous information with no research! If Kadman hadn't researched the major 34" widescreen sets - why does he even post about them like he is an expert? Whenever he lies he comes back and says "it was an honest mistake" yet posts that I lied. Since he is proved wrong here, you cannot trust his other statments either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.