AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I drag & drop win7 OS from HDD to Flash drive?

Then remove HDD, adjust bootup order in BIOS to bootup from USB drive and expect

To run a OS from a flash drive?

or can I use migration (cloning SW) that will come w/ my new Samsung SSD to clone HDD to flash drive?

Just wanting a backup OS w/ all drivers so I will be prepared if I have a OS drive failure.

here's the USB3 flash drive I'm concidering.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211764

Thanks STB

·
Registered
680 Posts
you can google about running from a usb drive. ive never done it.

for what you want to do for backup purposes, you can create an image of the hard drive and save that on a usb drive with something like acronis or ghost...disc imaging software. other recommendations will follow by others.

i use acronis myself. if your hard drive fails, you will need to put in another hard drive and restore the image back to it from the usb.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent advice Andy

Thanks STB

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Steve your posts make my head hurt but I generally want to help you.

You should post exactly your problem and exactly your desired outcome and I'll give you step by step instructions to achieve it. Please stop reading the internet though. It's sending you down the wrong path for everything.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1524363/can-i-drag-drop-win7-os-from-hdd-to-flash-drive#post_24583359

Steve your posts make my head hurt but I generally want to help you.

You should post exactly your problem and exactly your desired outcome and I'll give you step by step instructions to achieve it. Please stop reading the internet though. It's sending you down the wrong path for everything.

Isn't this on the internet? Taking your advice means ignoring this post.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You will need to clone your hdd to the flash. An image will not typically get the job done. Also, most USB flash drives will be slow. A better choice would be SATA SSD. The program I use to clone drives is TODO Backup. The free version is HERE .

BT

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Use the built in windows back up to create a back up image on the thumb drive, if the space allows it. Then, when needed, restore from the image.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.