AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Comcast basic cable with splitters to 3 tvs. Comcast is killing me with their continual prices increases. Just increased to $43 per month in 1/04.

I have spent the past 3 months researching HT speakers and receivers and I know NOTHING about OTA reception, antennas, HD tuners, etc. From what I have read on line, there is some decent OTA HD reception in my area (I live 30 miles outside of Boston on a hill).

Is there a solution out there that would allow me to get rid of cable, install an outside antenna and be able to receive both HD signals (assuming I purchase an inexpensive HD tuner) as well as local TV signals that are non HD. Would I need separate antennas to be able to receive HD and non-HD signals?

I realize I will not be able to get the same # of channels that I currently get with Comcast but I can live with that. Also would appreciate any guidance on where one would purchase an inexpensive HD tuner to accopmany my HD ready TV.

:mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another option if you dont mind shedding channels is to call comcast and drop EVERYTHING except basic analog service (I pay about $7.00 a month but also have highspeed internet) and rent the HD cable box another $7.00 or so. this will get you all the local channels and the HD feeds of 2,4,7,12 and the ED fox 25.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too live in the nothr of boston area and am just starting the process of selecting an antenna (and where to buy it) as well as what hdtv tuner to buy. Please post this information in the thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the Winegard HD7082P 50 element antenna and installed it in my attic. For the HD tuner I bought the LG Electronics LST-3510A. I'm about 35 miles from Boston and can receive about 9 local digital channels. I'm in the A/V business so I purchased everything from my distributors.

-Ed

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
There a "Boston Tower" thread in the HDTV locals forum that you guys should check out.

As long as you're not terribly terrain compromised (i.e. behind a big hill) you should be able to pull down most of the Boston DTV stations with an attic or roof antenna.

The only low(er) power ones are FOX and WB56. ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC are all at high power.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
The HD OTA Tuners are not "inexpensive" yet. Maybe an open box at Circuit City, or an eBay deal might be under $250. Not to plug DBS, but you can get a HDTV dbs receiver. It will have a built in HD OTA tuner, and you can subscribe to a cheap dbs package. That way you'll get your HD OTA, and still have some channels like CNN & Discovery to watch.

Usually, cheap dbs programming starts at around $25 - $30 mo.

BTW: You'll still need an OTA antenna of course.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My home theatre guru tells me that HDTV through Comcast is inferior to OTA reception - perhaps due to the box they make you use.

I have a Sony HD100 HDTV receiver (current model is HD300, about $700), feeding into 50" Panny plasma TV and my Sony surround sound receiver. I have an attic antenna (UHF only). My location is a few miles north of Needham where all the digital towers are located, so I don't need an antenna rotator. I am delighted except for transmission glitches.

I also have basic Comcast analog service (about $7 / month) plus high speed Internet, which accounts for most of my Comcast bill.

Michael Bate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.