AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm looking for recommendations for a ~60" set to replace my Mits 55613, which is showing signs of biting the dust soon. I wasn't really in that big of a hurry to get a new set, but I started looking around at what little selection there is now, and I started to worry that if I wait till this set dies, I may not be able to get a rptv anymore.

I really like the blacks on the CRT rptv, and would like any new set to at least approach that quality.

I would get a plasma if I could afford it and just hang it on the wall, but that is going to cost at least twice what these rptvs are now going for.

Anyway, I was mostly interested in the new Mits 735/6 series, but in reading reviews on Best Buy and Circuit City sites, there sure seem to be a lot of problems with bulb burnout and power modules. I don't really know much about the new Samsungs.

Now, I just was reading about the Sony A3000 sets, and the reviews seem to be stellar regarding picture quality and lack of motion blur. I can apparently still get one from sears.com.

I will be watching HD cable, HDDVD, and eventually Blu-Ray, as well as the SD channels on cable. The TV will be in the family room, and I have heavy fabric blinds I can lower, which make outside light not too much of a problem.

What are the pros and cons of each of these three brands? Thanks much for any help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
here are the reason why you would want each tv what ever feature is most important to you is the one you should get

Mitsu- good price for this tv and you get the dark chip 4 for better blacks but get the 72 since there would be no reason to get the 65 inch since the sammy 67 is very good

Sammy- go with the 67 since its made much much better then the 61 inch version plus the led so you dont need to change bulb

Sony- a very reliable RPTV with the best pq next to a high end plasma and a huge list of features and setting but good luck finding a 60 inch

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well you listed the top 3 brands and my honest opinion is there really isnt any difference between them.

Some companies put more money into advertising and promotion of their brand. Others put less. Thats about the only differnce as far as those 3 companies go.

Its like asking the question, "where should I eat today, jack-in-the box, carl's jr, or in-n-out burger?"

They are mostly the same. Sure some people are gonna like in-n-out burger better, but others will prefer carl's jr...and so on.

When choosing between those 3 brands...my advice would be to buy the biggest size screen with the lowest price you can afford.

enjoy your new TV.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendoultra64 /forum/post/14194642

here are the reason why you would want each tv what ever feature is most important to you is the one you should get

Mitsu- good price for this tv and you get the dark chip 4 for better blacks but get the 72 since there would be no reason to get the 65 inch since the sammy 67 is very good

Sammy- go with the 67 since its made much much better then the 61 inch version plus the led so you dont need to change bulb

Sony- a very reliable RPTV with the best pq next to a high end plasma and a huge list of features and setting but good luck finding a 60 inch

Hi, thanks for the info!

I just got back from my local Circuit City, and they have an open box Sony 60" A3000 on the floor for $1399. The screen looked good as far as I could tell in the store-I couldn't see any scratches on it. They could not find the remote, but they are going to keep looking for it. I can also get one off remotes.com for $40. They also didn't seem to have the manual. I wonder if I could get them to take $1299 for it!

The Sony picture looked pretty good on their Circuit City HD feed, although there was a lot of grit around text lettering on the screen. But I think that was not a problem with the set, rather the signal.

The salesman also agreed the Sony is great for picture quality, but says he just bought the Samsung 61" with the LED and he really likes it. I saw that model there and it does look good, but it runs $2000($2099 at BB).

I also saw the Mits 60" 735 series, and the picture was good, but it seems to overdo the greens-way too green, not natural. I saw a bit of that on some of the Samsungs as well.

One thing I am picky about is color accuracy, and I have always felt Sony had some of the best and most natural color reproduction. Is this still the case?

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot /forum/post/14194983

Hi, thanks for the info!

I just got back from my local Circuit City, and they have an open box Sony 60" A3000 on the floor for $1399. The screen looked good as far as I could tell in the store-I couldn't see any scratches on it. They could not find the remote, but they are going to keep looking for it. I can also get one off remotes.com for $40. They also didn't seem to have the manual. I wonder if I could get them to take $1299 for it!

The Sony picture looked pretty good on their Circuit City HD feed, although there was a lot of grit around text lettering on the screen. But I think that was not a problem with the set, rather the signal.

The salesman also agreed the Sony is great for picture quality, but says he just bought the Samsung 61" with the LED and he really likes it. I saw that model there and it does look good, but it runs $2000($2099 at BB).

I also saw the Mits 60" 735 series, and the picture was good, but it seems to overdo the greens-way too green, not natural. I saw a bit of that on some of the Samsungs as well.

One thing I am picky about is color accuracy, and I have always felt Sony had some of the best and most natural color reproduction. Is this still the case?

1400 is a steal imo for an a3000 i got mine at CC in may for 1700 new and if i were a sales man i would tell you i bought a 61 sammy to if it cost 700 more then the sony. the remote is no big deal any universal remote will work just fine and i never looked at the manual with my a3000 as all the information you will ever need is on these forums

BUT the deal breaker here is you might wanna check how many hours are on that bulb because if its alot you will either have to buy a new bulb or buy an extended warranty the bulbs are rated at 8000 hours btw

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendoultra64 /forum/post/14195360

1400 is a steal imo for an a3000 i got mine at CC in may for 1700 new and if i were a sales man i would tell you i bought a 61 sammy to if it cost 700 more then the sony. the remote is no big deal any universal remote will work just fine and i never looked at the manual with my a3000 as all the information you will ever need is on these forums
BUT the deal breaker here is you might wanna check how many hours are on that bulb because if its alot you will either have to buy a new bulb or buy an extended warranty the bulbs are rated at 8000 hours btw

I asked the salesman how long the set had been in the store and he said about 5 months.

Regarding hours, is there a counter or indicator built into the TV that tells how many hours the bulb has on it?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Jump on that 60" SXRD. That is a killer price. I purchased a KDS-55A3000 last week open box from Best Buy. It too, was missing the correct remote. The store gave me a Sony remote, but, not the correct one. I called Sony and told them I have purchased many products over the years and asked if it was possible to send me a remote. Amazingly, two days later, a brand new free remote was at my doorstep. Also, you will probably need the USB firmware update on your set. Simply call Sony and give your S/N. If it is an applicable model, they will mail the update free. Mine was received in three days. All in all, I have been quite impressed with the Customer Service lately.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 /forum/post/14195321

Is another CRT RPTV out of the question?

Well, I guess not, but I could just put some money into my 55613 if I were going to stay with CRT rp.

I'me just tired of the overscan. I've been kind of aggravated with it from the beginning because of how bad overscan it has. I bet it is 15% or more. It doesn't seem to me like I should have to pay $400 or more for a calibrator, just to not have excessive overscan. Also, horizontal lines have gotten wavy for the last couple years. Focus is not as good around the perimeter of the screen.

I guess I am just ready to move to a newer technology.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot /forum/post/14196516

I asked the salesman how long the set had been in the store and he said about 5 months.

Regarding hours, is there a counter or indicator built into the TV that tells how many hours the bulb has on it?

Thanks much.

yes you have to go into the service menu and it located at the bottom of the screen just do a search in the a3000 owners thread and it will come right up i am sure you could use a remote from another sony tv they have

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd take the open box Sony 60" A3000 home at that price, what a deal for probably the best RPTV you could find! Likely lots of hours on the bulb, but an extended warranty that includes a bulb should take care of that. If Sony would send you a remote and you could download the manual, you're set.

Pretty hard to beat the deal plus if you're not happy with the set once you try it at home CC has a no hassle return policy. They shouldn't give you any problem with a return. Just tell them what you don't like.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot /forum/post/14194401

Hi all. I'm looking for recommendations for a ~60" set to replace my Mits 55613, which is showing signs of biting the dust soon. I wasn't really in that big of a hurry to get a new set, but I started looking around at what little selection there is now, and I started to worry that if I wait till this set dies, I may not be able to get a rptv anymore.

I really like the blacks on the CRT rptv, and would like any new set to at least approach that quality.

I would get a plasma if I could afford it and just hang it on the wall, but that is going to cost at least twice what these rptvs are now going for.

Anyway, I was mostly interested in the new Mits 735/6 series, but in reading reviews on Best Buy and Circuit City sites, there sure seem to be a lot of problems with bulb burnout and power modules. I don't really know much about the new Samsungs.

Now, I just was reading about the Sony A3000 sets, and the reviews seem to be stellar regarding picture quality and lack of motion blur. I can apparently still get one from sears.com.

I will be watching HD cable, HDDVD, and eventually Blu-Ray, as well as the SD channels on cable. The TV will be in the family room, and I have heavy fabric blinds I can lower, which make outside light not too much of a problem.

What are the pros and cons of each of these three brands? Thanks much for any help.

just sent u an pm.

alan in cc,tx

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Be careful purchasing SONY RPTV. Many, Many people are reporting failure of their SXRD RPTV Optical Blocks, and Sony is replacing with rebuilt OB's that do not correct the inherrent flaw and which fail again. Sony has extended the warranty, but once this is past, you will have a boat anchor, because SONY has abandoned this technology.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Holy resurrected threads Batman, this thread is over a year old! You can't even purchase Sony SXRDs any more. Time to head back to the Batcave.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/17109500

Holy resurrected threads Batman, this thread is over a year old! You can't even purchase Sony SXRDs any more. Time to head back to the Batcave.

Yes, thanks to the new posters, but the Mits is surprisingly still soldiering on, and at this point, I'm pretty sure I want to go with a flat panel TV when I do replace the Mits. I'd like to get a 60" or larger plasma.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts